Is an offset toilet flange legal in Virginia?

Hi Guys I had a NRS pre drywall inspection today and ran into a basement toilet drain with an offset in it. Does anyone know if this is permitted in Loudoun county Virginia

Thank you all

Thomas Virginia follows the 2015 IPC so I would I would say yes it is allowed. Best practice would be to chip out the concrete and put a regular flange in but often the height of the horizontal drain from finished floor may not allow this.

3 Likes

Thank you Martin. Interestingly enough, the floor is still all broken apart around the drain and has not yet been sealed and leveled. I can’t imagine why they don’t just want to do it right while the floor is still open.

2 Likes

I see this all the time on “plumbed” basements to be finished out at a later date. I only call them out if the cap seal is broken. I may point out to the client that it “appears” to be in an odd place, but not in my report.

According to the buyer, the basement is to be finished.

My biggest concern is the lack of gravity being in a basement.

I could accept this more easily if it was on a first or second floor, but being in a basement, I am envisioning frequent clogs.

I still feel that if the floor is open, why not nip it in the bud while you can.

I appreciate the responses!

Thank you all

Tom

I agree, an offset flange is a last resort. I’d rather see two street 22’s used for the 2” offset. The problem is the offset flange is used where the horizontal drain is too close to the finished floor eliminating the use of the street 22’s. These fittings need 8”-10” in sewer height to finished floor to work properly. I hope that makes sense.

I would guess the offset was the only option due to sewer height.

1 Like

Looks like the are moving the flange closer to the rear wall, behind the toilet.
Could have just used a model with a 14" rough-in.

If it’s available in the model the client needs. They could pad the wall too.

If that is why the offset, it would be cheaper to fur out the wall to accommodate the rough-in.

2 Likes