Is there anything wrong with this flex install?

Hi Michael

Of course we care about the TPR drain pipe but the question was about the gas supply set up.Orange colored teflon tape is rated for gas use. The shut off valve has a lever off sorts, this type of valve is closed by using a wrench, safety feature to prevent kids from playing with it.

Hi Gerry.

I was just surprised that no one mentioned those items.

We tend to pick apart any posted photo so others cans learn too. Sorry.

We don’t know why the gas company didn’t like the install yet.
Perhaps it is the white teflon tape.

If the gas valve requires a tool to operate that wouldn’t be appropriate in residential use IMHO.

BTW - I don’t see an issue with the CSST appliance connector.

I hope Ron comes back and let’s us know what the objections were.

Hi Michael

If the Teflon is white you are correct that is illegal, but on my screen it has an orange tint to it.
I agree with you on the handle bit but the gas company doesn’t want people to easily play with these valves. Up here if you smell gas, you open the windows and get out as fast as you can and call the fire dept first and then gas company you are not to shut any valves off.
I have a feeling that flex hose was set up this way because the pipe off the tee was to long and they could not fit the connector on properly. They are going to either have to put a shorter nipple on the tee or crank it a couple of inches over so the tee faces towards the water heater.
When Ron gets back maybe he can clarify why he set it up this way as well as what color the tape is.

Sorry, I forgot to mention this type of valve is used because it is more easily determined if the gas has been shut off.

Yes was set up with 90 elbow as nipple was to long but will correct. But got a bit more info about line that gas workers did not like,they stated that flex hose(appliance connector)would be a violation and that it needed to be steel pipe. Never heard this before but thats what they said.

Teflon is rated gasline teflon it is not white.

Hi Ron

I personally have never seen a furnace set up with a flex hose. According to our national code up here I can’t find anything against it, only thing is my above quote. However the thinking is that steel pipe is more secure because people like to lean things and store things around the furnace, so it is more secure from accidents. But as you know local jurisdications have precedent I would call them to find out for sure.

Ron let us know what they say, thanks.

Hard Pipe, In the Chicago Area any appliance that does not need to move, water heater, furnace , are required to be hard piped. its an old code around here. Next time I talk to the Gas guy I will ask him why.
The other good one is on roof top units depending ion who you talk to they don’t want drip leg’s, say they may freeze. have yet to get a good answer on this one.

I really can’t see enough moisture being in the natural gas to fill up the dirt/drip leg. The only thing that comes to mind… if there is a lot of moisture vapor in the gas, it’s warmer underground where the main line is than the rooftop. By the time the gas hits the roof, it’s cool enough where the vapor may condense into a small amount of liquid. Maybe over a long period of time, the dirt/drip leg may fill and eventually freeze. Just a thought.

Jeff

Talked to a couple other installers and they say that for some reason here (edmonton,alberta) and maybe elswhere in alberta I dont know, they never get aproval for appliance connectors . Only hard pipe and CSST pipe not ready made appliance connectors. Will just steel pipe it and get it over with. They dont know why they just know thats the way it is.