Appliance connector

Please have a look at the attached pic. Apparently it is wrong and I’m concerned I didn’t see an issue. Being fairly new to the game I’d appreciate your comments. Also, if you please, what is allowed for venting a gas clothes dryer? My understanding is metal (tin foil type) was allowable, even though hard vent is best.

Many thanks,

Mark Ellison

PS - I AM a member, don’t know why it’s saying otherwise!!??


What is supposed to be wrong?

Flex tubing used to connect the natural gas supply to a heating unit or appliance should not pass through the metal chassis of the appliance. Vibrations, over time, can wear a hole and cause a premature failure of the tubing. A ‘black pipe nipple’ should extend to the outside of the chassis then connect to the flex tubing.
Heater example:

Judging by the picture the flex tupe is the wrong size for the appliance. Note the fitting on the hard gas line. Plus the flex tube doesn’t look like its plastic coated. I don’t like the fact the shut off requires a wrench, it should be an actual valve with afixed handle.

The gas line extends to far up the wall. Most I see terminate just above the floor.

These are not flared fittings.

If anything is wrong here, it would be that the Plumber should have shortened the gas supply line to this dryer. Other than that, it looks good to me.

My client’s gas service was shut off for “improper flex material”. She got her keys 3 days ago, moved in and noticed a gas smell, called Enbridge, the Tech came in and found a leak by the furnace and in addition cited; 1/ this gas range connection 2/ metallic (tin foil type) gas dryer vent not to code, which I’m not sure on either, so if you fellas have a comment I’d appreciate that too.

Thanks for your responses,

Mark Ellison


I believe metal flex ducting is suitable for gas dryers, or at least thats what it says on the package.

While solid ducting is preferable, it is sometimes necessary to use the metal flex because of the confines of the venting. You cannot attach solid ducting as it limits the removal of the dryer for servicing.

There’s nothing wrong with that aluminum flexible (tin-foil type) ducting for dryers. I call out the vinyl ducts only.

You should check into this, David.

There is corrugated aluminum flex duct which is quite different than the tin foil type. The “tin foil” type you refer to may be aluminized or metalized polyester ducting which probably is not approved for carrying hot combustion gases from a gas dryer.

Just my guess at this since we are just beginning to get natural gas here and I have to upgrade my skills. Have never even seen a gas dryer yet.

The aluminum/polyester flex exhaust is ULC approved and fire rated for exhausting gas and electric dryers.

Its name is Pro Flex.

As I said, check it out:

From the Proflex website:

In the past, the most common practice for venting clothes dryers was the use of vinyl ducting. Although vinyl ducting is suitable for bathroom fan applications and general purpose exhausting it is not recommended for clothes dryer venting. ProFlex is U.L. 2158A Listed as a Clothes Dryer Transition Duct. It is designed to vent both gas and electric dryers. It is made from a fire resistant 4 ply aluminum foil laminate. ProFlex is available in dryer vent kits as well as multiple length ducting.

The aluminized or metalized polyester are not recommended. Even the two ply aluminum foil laminate is not recommended for dryers!

Flexible Metalized Foil Ducting

- Class 1 Air Connector

  • Ideal for use in general purpose exhaust applications including bathroom fans.
  • Maximum operating temperature is 250° F.
  • Made from a 2 ply aluminum foil laminate.
    *]Not Recommended for Clothes Dryer Venting.

Thats not what it says, we are talking about 3 or 4 ply, not 2 ply

Check it out.

Very simply…If it’s not combustible and doesn’t melt, it’s fine.

Mark I am glad I stumbled upon this thread.
That looks like a brass flex connector and is extremely dangerous.
How the gas company missed it I do not know.
This is an explosion waiting to happen.Have it removed immediately.

This is new to me.

Thanks Bob.


Yes, that product is approved but it is not aluminum/polyester flex!!!

Your statement insinuated that a generic class of flex duct is approved for gas and electric dryers…this is not the case. There are many other generics that look like aluminum ply and are only used for ventilation/heating/AC with lower temperature air. See the 3 pictures in the lower right of the following website

I don’t think that any of these would be approved for a dryer but they’re all “metal” in some way!!

Thats why you have to make certain its UL approved for gas dryers.