Is there good money in this game

Originally Posted By: Gregory S. Smith
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

I would like to know if the earning potential is worth getting into this business.

no one seemed to reply to my last post.

any feedback would be quite helpful.

I would like to hear success stories, as well as not so successful stories.

Originally Posted By: wcampbell

Hi Greg,

As for myself, I am in South Texas, on the Coast. There are over 2000 Professional Inspectors in Texas. That number does not include the Apprentice Inspectors and Real Estate Inspectors who are working under the guidence of a Professional Inspector.

There are 22 Professional Home Inspectors in my coverage area.

I have been licensed through TREC since 12-31-02 and I have to date completed 10 home inspections.

As far as the $$$ it is my understanding that we are not to mention amounts on a BB, so as not to get into price fixing.

I can say however that once you get your foot in the door, that it can be prosperous.

You need to check in your local area as far as the availibility of home inspectors.

Also you might try calling one or two and asking how much they charge in your area.

This Ole House-Home Inspections

William A. Campbell TREC # 6372

Serving the Texas Coastal Bend

(361) 727-0602 (home)

(361) 727-0055 (office)

(361) 229-4103 (cell)

Hi William;

Thanks for your input.

I was not aware of the price fixing, but it makes sense.

I have not yet entered the field, but I am considering it.

I’m just trying to do a little research first.

Thanks again for your help; Greg

Originally Posted By: jmyers

Gregory,

As with any business you will only get out of this business what you put into it. Meaning the more you put into it the more you will get out of it.

The earning potential is there, especially if you have a construction background. Even with a construction background there is much that needs to be learned.

Good businesses are difficult to start and maintain. The more effort you put into it the better your chance of success.

Joe Myers

Hi Joe;

Thanks for responding

I am currently in the Restoration business and work for several insurance companies, so I do have a wide range of construction experience.

I know a little about all trades, a lot about none icon_smile.gif

The real estate market here in Phoenix in doing quite well.

I am friends with several brokers here, so maybe they can keep me busy.

Is doing 2 inspections a day an unrealistic short term goal?

Originally Posted By: gbeaumont

Hi Greg

there are way to many variables about starting up your own HI business, dependent on market size, amount of competition, how far you wish to travel etc, but I would say generaly that a short term goal of 2 a day would be unrealistic, 2 a week as a start up would be great, and from what I’ve read of business start ups in most areas 100 in the first year would be a more reasonable goal.

Regards

Gerry

--
Gerry Beaumont
NACHI Education Committee
e-mail : education@nachi.org
NACHI phone 484-429-5466

Inspection Depot Education
gbeaumont@inspectiondepot.com

"Education is a journey, not a destination"

Originally Posted By: mrose

, is welcome. Like the earlier responses indicated this business requires a lot of hard work to succeed.

There is always room for good inspectors, who are honest and place the best interest of their clients first.

The hard part is getting the phone to ring. NACHI can help you get the phone ringing.

Best regards

--
Mike Rose
Cornerstone Home Inspection Co. LLC
Lawrenceville, GA

www.cornerstonehomeinspect.com

Originally Posted By: jmyers

Now that is strange. When I replied to that post there were no other replies. Now that I came back to read the response there are two between the only two that were there.

Maybe I shoud go take my PAXIL. ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif)

Joe Myers

Originally Posted By: jonofrey

I agree with Gerry’s assessment. Very realistic.

John

Originally Posted By: Nick Gromicko

My brother charges $349 at www.peachinspection.com With his add on inspections he says his average is $562/inspection. He and his partner Dan have done 3 a day for years. They have 1 full time secretary.

I am a REALTOR in their market but don't use them because I'm related to Ben. I have a short list of inspectors. Real short. Only one name: Joe Myers. He does nice work. His prices are listed on his web site at: http://www.anii.biz/Service%20&%20Prices.htm He works alone.

I also refer buyers to http://www.InspectorSeek.com

Both these companies charge about $100 more than the going rate in my market.

Nick

Originally Posted By: Bob Sonneson

I believe that every one that looks at our bussiness believes that it would be a simple one to start. I have been in bussiness for 6 years and tell interested people when they call with interest of getting into HI that they need to be very realistic. When they first begin they will work thier tails off just trying to get in the door with realestate professionals. You are handling the most important item they have thier clients and they protect that client and pay check. If when you first begin if you can get 1 inspection a week you are heading in the right direction. The start up time is long. You must preform to get word of mouth from realtor to realtor. When you first start out your calls will be last minute calls and you must respond quickly.

Originally Posted By: Nick Gromicko

Good advice Bob.

I am writing an online interactive telephone script to help members convert every call to a scheduled inspection. It will include responses to every question and objection. An example:

Caller: "Why are you more expensive than other inspectors?"
Inspector: "You should ask why are my competitors so cheap. I charge a little more than other inspectors because..."

You get the idea. I had it as a paper flow chart but it started to go 3 dimensional on me so I'm building it into an online tool.

Anyway what Bob said about pouncing on each and every call you get at first is very true... and I'll add... that it is especially important to "convert" every call into a scheduled inspection.

Nick

Originally Posted By: gjohnson

When we first started we were happy when the phone rang the first time for someone wanting an inspection. I didn’t close the deal on that call and have not let another one slip through. I would say that when my brother and I started we were happy doing two inspections a week total. Now we are doing 5 to 6 total and still are happy because are customers are satisfied, we are getting a good repore with the real estate agents and are working hard at ensuring our good name.

Gary (Snicker’s) Johnson - Free NACHOS

The NACHI Foundation

Executive Director

301-591-9895