Is this a Defect? Some various pics attached

Just some pics posted for discussion… may help some someone.

Penetration Pics 1 and 2
Ok… There are 2 pics of PVC pipes penetrating the garage to house wall. What are the thoughts there? It’s a whole-house vacuum… but that doesn’t really matter.

Tile
I took a picture of a second floor bathroom, where tile is installed directly over some basic t/g plywood. Carpet is actually higher than the tile. What’s the concern?

Hole
Last one is self-explanatory…a hole in the duct. What would you say/recommend to your client?

Tiles and grout will start cracking in the first couple months.

Ducting may need to be replaced depending on the amount of damage and contamination on the inside so it will need to be disconnected and examined from end to end.

**R302.5.3 Other penetrations. **Penetrations through the separation required in Section R309.2 shall be protected as required by Section R302.11, Item 4.

1. At openings around vents, pipes, ducts, cables and wires at ceiling and floor level, with an *approved *material to resist the free passage of flame and products of combustion. The material filling this annular space shall not be required to meet the ASTM E 136 requirements.

**R302.6 Dwelling/garage fire separation. **The garage shall be separated as required by Table R302.6. Openings in garage walls shall comply with Section R302.5. This provision does not apply to garage walls that are perpendicular to the adjacent *dwelling unit *wall.

**R302.5.2 Duct penetration. **Ducts in the garage and ducts penetrating the walls or ceilings separating the *Dwelling *from the garage shall be constructed of a minimum No. 26 gage (0.48 mm) sheet steel or other *approved *material and shall have no openings into the garage.

Carpet transition should have been used.

Or something like this;

http://www.tileprotection.com/images/Image/Carpet_Trim_4556.jpg

The carpet should be cut in the center of the door so when door is closed neither flooring on other side of doorway will show. Check with your local dealer.

Usually an annodized alluminum strip is intalled at the time of the ceramic tile installation for carpet transitions to carpet.

http://www.ceramictool.com/images/CarpetTrim1_E2.jpg

Last, I think a nest of little varments is evident. :slight_smile:

:slight_smile:

I get “grief” for it, but I always call out plastic piping penetrating the garage firewall. I even had one the other day where the hot-water feed to the house was 3/4" PEX through a 2" hole in the firewall :). The listing agent just couldn’t understand the problem - “my contractor just repaired this and he says PEX is the best stuff around” he excitedly exclaimed :wink:

You guys really have nothing better to write up do you…

I wish I could spend my days writing up plastic thorugh the drywall.

I am too busy trying to dodge skunk turds in a water soaked crawlspace.

You and Wayne really need to agree upon a truce!!! :p;-)

Wet crawl spaces? Chemical, electrical and other risks… careful. :wink:

Problem is… a lot of the inventory right now in southern california is flipped property… and the home buyers think they are buying a re-vamped home. With a home warranty, no less.

Typical Scenario
A home was REO, then an investor (sometimes) spends as little as possible to “polish” it. You arrive and although it looks nice… items like the tile installed directly to second floor 5/8" osb tg flooring will crack and so on. They are hoping that the thousands that they saved in renovations will be the buyers problem… “AS IS” Right?

My PIA says I do not report on the condition of floor coverings. Sometimes I do anyway, but usually only for new homes. If I said anything, I’d just say it was an amateur installation and it would not be listed as a “significant” issue in my report.

For the duct, that small tear in the outer insulation is probably inconsequential as long as the inner duct is intact. (When you see something like that and turn your head real fast, it’s like you never saw it all !)

I do not note the general condition of floors… and while I’m not perfect, if I spot or become aware of an installation defect that will reduce the flooring install service life to nill… I’ll pass the info along. These re-vamped homes are giving the buyers the impression they are buying a substantially refurbished home.

As far as the hole in the duct… with the rodent droppings, the hole in the duct and the D-Con box next to it… it was too hard to “turn my head away real fast” :wink:

I didn’t even notice the decon box. Just thought it was a tear. Probably a complete hole and should be reported. I agree completely.

:slight_smile: I figured as much!

What type of duct work is that, manufacturer?

Now I’m curious…why does it matter?

See below…

OK. I didn’t see any holes. That was the issue posted.

There may be another issue…not posted.

This was the original question:

That is strikingly similar Eric… for sure. But was flex duct, house was built in late 80’s. You could see the clear liner in there… the tape was a patch from last time…

Good eye.

#1pics ! and 2. Suspect safety hazard. Break in the firewall protection.
The PVC piping are not rated for the 20 minute fire break rating on garage walls.
Suspect foundation firewall damage. The lowest part of the firewall below the defect vacuum hose entry and exit is breaking and shifted slightly.Snap and zoom on the bottom.
Recommend: sorry lost on that tonight.**
Attic.
Suspect: **Rodent or vermin problems.s.
Recommend: Have a licensed pest control or exterminator do an investigation and pest control.
Remove and replace all insulated exhaust. Might be contaminated with vermin parasites.
Then. Sorry exhausted. tonight.Just have the energy for to Tim or Mr.Spargo.

Marcel the ladies must drop dead when you talk that way to them.
WOW one day I will hopefully be as effectual.:slight_smile:
Shot you never know.
Thank you Marcel. Its a great help. Thanks.

I see how the illustration added the the narrative. Great Marcel.
That why I am using Horizon for now, the illustration, links, ability for graphical interface with defect, deficiency, and ease. Cost is a bear though…
I have to build up illustration and then I can focus on my HIP software.
Marcel you are using code **R302.5.3 **yet we are not code inspectors. You see my question.