Is this a type of pressure release?

I personally haven’t seen this sort of thing on any plumbing pipes so far. Is this a different form of a pressure release? It did have water sitting in the mouth. So stealing a quote from someone else today “my sherlock holmes hat” says this must be. However subjecting myself to everyone here I look to confirm.

Also why would I need this at the hot water heater if it has one already? :nosy:





First two pics are vacuum break and third pic is of a TPR valve missing discharge pipe.

The 3rd pic was just a general pick to show the tank did have one (a tpr). The 1st 2 pics are really my question.

Oh and thank you for the answer on the first 2 pics. And my response is “well I be damn”… :slight_smile: