Is this an adequate repair?

I had called out some damaged vent flashing. It had been chewed along the top edge. I had expected the repair to involve replacement of the entire boot but it appears they just put the top of another boot over the original. Would you sign off on this?

Yes! It is fine.

1 Like

Did you get a close look at the old flashing/boot? Many times the squirrels chew the lead at the base (at the stem), so slipping a cover over won’t repair the damage.

FWIW, the “new” one will be chewed shortly as well…

1 Like

Yep! Put a piece of PVC pipe over it.

That’s a lead boot/roof jack. The bottom flange should be installed in a shingled manner and allow water to exit should it penetrate around the shingles or the boot itself. If that was the case, then it’s good. If, however, the bottom part of the flange isn’t on top of the lower level of shingles, then it’s wrong. In other words, if it sits flat on top of underlayment with shingles on top, it can trap water and or leak.

The opening was poorly formed and looks 50%+ closed.

2 Likes

why would a vent stack that had been chewed at the top need repaired ? did it no longer have proper clearance above the roof covering ?

James you know well why :smiley: it’s a lead boot meant to bend over and into the vent pipe. If you breach this fold, the water will penetrate the roof coverings.

1 Like

Because water could run down between the pipe and the lead boot.

thanks for the clarification…don’t see many lead boots around here…I was thinking plastic

Agree with simon

Keeps the tree frogs out…

Yep. I was about to comment similarly. A 2 inch vent is supposed to have a 2 inch opening, not be throttled down to 3/4 inch by a sloppy vent jack install.

Aside from being squirrel damaged, the original vent jack was improperly installed. The flange should have been interleaved with the shingles with the lower portion exposed on top of the shingles. Wondering if this is an overlay…