Vent stack flashing boot over boot

I saw this vent stack on an 11 month warranty inspection. It looks like they put another boot over the original one. I suppose the first one was damaged. Is this an ok fix?

That’s a first, It is a temporary fix, I would recommend the boot be replaced.

How would a boot be damaged in 11 months. Did you get on the roof to inspect or just photograph from the ground?

1 Like

Must of been screwed up on the onset. So they used this slip over.

2 Likes

No, I didn’t get up to it. I’m supposing it must have gotten damaged during construction as and that’s how they fixed it. What else could have been the reason?

John Wheeler
Wheeler Home Services LLC
(615) 397-0975

Because your peace of mind matters!

It looks like they just trimmed up a regular boot. Here’s another pic.

image0.jpeg

John Wheeler
615 397-0975

It sure looks like they cut a duplicate boot and slipped it over the damaged boot.

1 Like

Then, it probably has a gap ring around and between the top of the two boots that will leak eventually.

I would recommend replacing it, like Scott said.

Thank you all for your input!

John Wheeler
(615) 397-0975

1 Like

You’re welcome, John. :smile:

No matter how it was done, it is wrong in either case. And logically, they would of used a boot of the same shape. I was trying to point out that you can buy slip-on boots.

Thanks Marcel! When I saw what they had done, the boot you referred to came to mind. That’s why I was puzzled with their work. Since the home is new, I would have expected them to replace it, not cover it.

John Wheeler
(615) 397-0975

I wouldn’t tear that roof up and replace the whole thing… Nope!
If that replacement boot was properly secured and sealed. I would have no problem with it.

2 Likes

I’m going to gout on a limb and say the installer intended the flashing to look like this. Watch the video and remember this is new work.

The flashing is an IPS flashing and they do make a special boot to cover their existing boot to protect it from UV and give it additional waterproofing.

https://www.ipsroofingproducts.com/DoubleCollar.HTML

I am with you why tear it up if sealed properly, no issue

Because the house is new, and it is an easy fix without destroying the shingles. The roofing and the roof boot has to last 25 to 30 years.

I’d be curious to find out why that had to be done on a new building.

Maybe from snow removal?

Shot this pic yesterday, Check this oldie out still in good shape no rust inside that I can see.

1 Like