Is this correct?

Originally Posted By: kmcmahon
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

This is the main disconnect for the residence. The 3/0cu feeds a 200amp and the 2/0AL service feeds a 100amp panel in the garage. They are both Main panels. The question is at the acorn clamps. Something about it just doesn’t seem right. Is it acceptable to splice them this way?

Wisconsin Home Inspection, ABC Home Inspection LLC

Search the directory for a Wisconsin Home Inspector

Originally Posted By: Bob Badger

This is the incorrect use of an acorn.

An acorn is only designed for ground rod to conductor connections, not for conductor to conductor.

There are connectors that could be used for this aluminum to copper tap.

Or a correct set of 'over and under double barrel' lugs.

--
Bob (AKA iwire)
ECN Discussion Forums
Mike Holt Code Forum

Thanks Bob,

I’m in the middle of writing the report and this was bugging me. Appreciate the help.

Kevin.

--

Originally Posted By: roconnor

I agree with Bob that it’s not an acceptable tap for that 100A feeder. To expand on that a bit, it is not a good thing that there is direct Cu to Al wire contact … and I think Bob might be talking about these dual AL/CU rated tap connectors:

![](upload://an9a3WlHatIrB61zznXjxeFUi1T.jpeg)

And unless my eyes are getting bad the incoming feeders look the same size at the 200A panel feeders. 3/0 Cu service feeders would only be good for about 225A ... so the main service feeders are probably undersized too (assuming 200A and 100A service panels and MD's) ...

That looks like a Harry Homeowner special (i.e. no permits or inspection), and a red flag in my book ...

BTW ... what was the meter rated at? I would almost bet the ranch it's a 200A meter and utility drop.

Just my 2-nickels

--
Robert O'Connor, PE
Eagle Engineering ?
Eagle Eye Inspections ?
NACHI Education Committee

I am absolutely amazed sometimes by how much thought goes into doing things wrong

Thanks for the input. I did note that on the report. they were 3/0 service lines. The homeowner built the entire home…electrical and all.