Is this csst

From todays inspection.
I found this flex coming out of a central feed black pipe with three of these yellow jacketed guys coming off Ts and feeding straight in the walls to appliances.
Is this ok.?
[ATTACH][ATTACH]DSCN4507 (Small).JPG[/ATTACH][/ATTACH]

DSCN4510 (Small).JPG

DSCN4509 (Small).JPG

Yes, that is CSST. It can be used anywhere you would normally see rigid piping (black iron).

That was fast .
Thanks.
Is there one not rated for this that looks the same?
Also I do not know if this is common specs , but peoples gas here in Chicago says it should not terminate directly to the appliance.
Know anything about that.
It is referring to movable verses fixed appliances.
Stoves no
furnace or vent less fire place OK
discrepancy for vent less is apparently due to the fact a log could hit it and cause damage.Sound correct.
Sorry for all the questions but I never dealt with this stuff in walls before and I do not feel good about flammables in walls inside flex.

IL is an animal of a different color, so there may be some exceptions here, but generally, CSST can be attached directly to appliances, just as with black iron/rigid.

In some jurisdictions, such as CA, a listed appliance connector is still required for most residential applications.

CSST is often confused with “appliance connectors.” While they are made from the same or similar materials, they have very different listings and requirements.

Appliance connectors are manufactured in specific lengths with connectors already in place. They are not allowed to pass through walls or appliance cabinets, and cannot be used in concealed locations (within wall cavities or other unaccessible locations) - they are required to be “readily accessible.”

CSST piping, on the other hand, can be run in length, through walls and wall cavities, indoors, outdoors, etc., etc., just as you can with steel piping.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but I remember right from the TracPipe class I took, CSST is not rated for protection against physical damage. The instructor advised not running it exposed outdoors at or near grade level.

Robert,
Peoples Gas offers a 2 day gas appliance class that is great. Check it out.

What’s that? :stuck_out_tongue:
Do they come in copper?:wink:

Sorry, couldn’t resist!:slight_smile:
</IMG></IMG></IMG>

Thanks guys .
The answers helped me alot.
From that same peoples gas guide Marc is right about outdoor use.
Yes Linus I know all about the great two day class on the near south side.
Hopefully I will have a good spring and dig up the cash.
Remember I just went full time and counting pennies to keep going.
So far I am way ahead of last year , but I gotta tell you there are easier ways to make money.
Goofy me I choose what I enjoy.
EDIT
Marc here is what you refered to

csst.jpg

Correct Marc :smiley:

Brian see edit pic post 8

You are correct Marc. CSST does require shielding in some applications.

Still correct Bob.:smiley:

I beleive we need you to devise a poll on something soon. :wink:

Ha hah yes I have been thinking of a few good ideas on that line.
I am a frusterated artist and have been working on trying to invent some thing new for the summer fairs in between posting and drumming up inspections.

Robert, here’s a Gastite CSST Design and Installation guide that I’ve posted from time to time. It’s quite large at 100+ pages and 3MB so it takes a minute to download but it addresses some of your questions and is a handy guide to archive.

http://www.divshare.com/download/1466610-efc

Do all brands of CSST pipe need a BONDING wire install?

CSST, as with all metallic gas piping, is required to be bonded to the electrical system of the building. Some CSST will require additional bonding measures or a supplementary grounding electrode.

Some manufacturers of Corrugated Stainless Steel Tubing (CSST) were involved in a class action lawsuit for CSST installed prior to 09/06. There apparently have been some cases when lightning damaged residential CSST.
Additional bonding requirements have been required after Sept. 2006. I have seen this product placed through unprotected sheet metal openings in gas fireplaces and the vinyl jacket was shredded.

Will some one explain the importance of the vinyl jacket to me.
Thanks.
Also why do you think it is more of a lightning draw than say black pipe.

TB2007_01.pdf (119 KB)

Bob,
Some good CSST bonding information on the attached web site. The CSST lightning damage coccured as a result of the thin wall make up of the CSST.
Pin holes were discovered in some of the damaged CSST. In addition to improved bonding standards, I beleive the new CSST is constructed with heavier walls. I do provide information regarding the potential CSST issues within my report when I inspect homes with this product installed prior to Sept. 2006.:slight_smile:

Not more of a draw, just more susceptible to damage. . .