Is this red painted breaker OK? Fire alarm

I stared at this… is it OK? Better check

Yep more or less

760.121(B) Branch Circuit.
The branch circuit supplying the fire alarm equipment(s) shall supply no other loads. The location of the branch-circuit overcurrent protective device shall be permanently identified at the fire alarm control unit. The circuit disconnecting means shall have red identification, shall be accessible only to qualified personnel, and shall be identified as “FIRE ALARM CIRCUIT.” The red identification shall not damage the overcurrent protective devices or obscure the manufacturer’s markings. This branch circuit shall not be supplied through ground-fault circuit interrupters or arc-fault circuit interrupters. The fire alarm branch-circuit disconnecting means shall be permitted to be secured in the “on” position.

The circuit disconnecting means shall be accessible only to authorized personnel.
10.6.5.4 Circuit Breaker Lock.
Where a circuit breaker is the disconnecting means, an approved breaker locking device shall be installed.

It’s unclear if that screw is a “lock”.

The screw is holding in place a bracket that will keep it from tripping.

That will not prevent it from tripping. As it trips internally, s I understand it.

It may only prevents it from being turned off.

5 Likes

Maybe @rmeier2 can clarify it this a correct way to keep a breaker from tripping.

Painted lock-off device.
Section 240.83(A) requires the breaker to be marked with their ampere rating in a manner that is durable and visible after installation.
Paint can interfere with lock-out operations.
Ampacity and manufacture not plainly visible.
Refer to a licensed electrical contractor for posable replacement.
Just my 2 cents.

Correct.
My question was is this an “approved breaker locking device”

Moot point.
If it was not painted it would be.
QL1 - Siemens Circuit Breaker Handle Lock-Off Device

I don’t see that ? in the OP.

And, iI answered like this:

Edit: I think Robert has it:

QL1 - Siemens Circuit Breaker Handle Lock-Off Device

2 Likes

Looks like a Square D Handle lock. Not sure if it’s approved in your area.

1 Like

I know this isn’t the question being asked, but just to clarify on its purpose:

The lock prevents someone from turning off the breaker without removing the device. This prevents an “unintentional” shut off of the fire alarm system. The lock does not prevent the breaker from tripping during an overcurrent situation.

7 Likes

That is as it should be. Can one imagine a breaker not shutting off when needed? It could be the cause of a fire…or, worse. :flushed:

3 Likes

Yeah, I mean they have “breakers” designed simply as taps that do not have overcurrent protection. You would use that if you want to tap off the bus without overcurrent protection.

1 Like

I typically see variations of this. Not some spray paint applied in the field and a sharpie :wink:

3 Likes

Well, is that not just a switch? :wink:

1 Like

Not even a switch…

Just terminations then?

2 Likes

Yeah, just an easy way to pull feeders off of the panel. You wouldn’t use it for typical distribution circuits obviously though.

Question: If there was an electrical panel fire that burned all the breakers, would it matter? :thinking: :wink:

As long as the lock-on device is a listed device it is permitted and would be the code complaint way to do it. The paint wouldn’t change the functionality of the CB unless it somehow got inside of the circuit breaker.

4 Likes

Robert, just to answer other questions presented, would a breaker still “trip” being locked as pictured?