Is this worth the effort to write up

Don’t be shy is there a problem here and if so would you ask for it to be corrected

I’ll take a WAG… is there a cracked heat exchanger?

I’d appreciate the education Charley, because I have no clue what I am looking at.
See, that wasn’t so hard to admit. LOL:)

Something is melting that insulation. Recommend further review by Charley Bottger.:cool:

I’ll take a shot at it Charley.

1… The bulb on the TEV needs to have the insulation repaired.
2… The rust in the overflow pan indicates that the condensate drain may be plugged and the safety switch is not working.
3… The bottle of leak detector indicates that there is a refrigerant leak and the coil is frosting and then in off cycle the melt is overflowing the primary evap coil pan.
4… I see the external equalizer on the valve but am not sure what that other line or wire is.

Just a Guess.

Second that.:wink:

Had to blow up pic, looks like hole in drain line.
Insulation melted, may have been from repair.
Hole in drain line, may also been caused by repair.
Low side is sweating, is unit functioning Properly ? etc.

Sorry I am still giggling wow all kinds of answers I was watching the Thunder beat up on the Lakers, we had one answer real close.

The insulation was not melting its called press tape and that is how it appears some call it cork tape its still the same thing.

The problem was the non insulated TXV bulb being exposed to the ambient air which in turn can cause the expansion valve to over feed refrigerant into the A-coil with possible flooding of liquid refrigerant back to the compressor which is suppose to pump vapor only. In any event the TXV bulb should only sense the temp of the suction line vapor return to the compressor only:D

Nice guessing but the bottle was dawn dish soap that I use for Natural gas leaks on the furnace

The other line was the cap tube for the TXV bulb

The rust was from the condensate from the suction line dripping into the safety pan as it was a attic install the drains were functioning properly

Not that a HI needs to know but let me explain how a Thermostatic expansion valve (TXV) operates. The valve proper has a round element on the top of the valve that has a small measured charge of the same type of refrigerant that the A/C unit contains. This round element is connected to its temperature bulb with a capillary tube. The temp bulb measures the temp of the refrigerant leaving the A-coil as this temp increases the TXV opens and as the temp from the A-coil decreases the TXV closes:D

Do you take super heat temps on your home inspections?

I might if I see a need just to keep the contractors honest;-)