Is this wrong?

Originally Posted By: cmccann
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

I’ve been searching in code check, maybe I’m missing something but I’m sure how to call this out. That’s If it’s wrong. I checked to see If the clay liners had slipped, but could not tell. It appears there has been some modifications to the brick structure in the attic space.

[ Image: http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/usrimages/more/00259%20022.jpg ]

--
NACHI MAB!

Originally Posted By: dedwards

Looks wrong to me. Not only because of the terra cotta flue slipped down but there are no spark arrestors in place. I would definately call for further evaluation/ repairs. We don’t always have to know the “cause” of a problem, only recognize when something isn’t normal or dangerous.

Originally Posted By: Brian A. Goodman

I could swear I’ve read somewhere that there is a minimum distance the liner has to protrude, but I can’t find it in the IRC. There are some specialized fireplace inspection websites (like Dale Feb’s) if you want to persue it.

Originally Posted By: dsmith1

The flue should be higher than the cap to prevent water running into the chimney. The existing joint will be hard to seal as is, the flue should be extended. Both flues should not terminate at the same level to prevent cross drafting. And of course rain caps with vermin screens are always good.are always good.

Thanks everyone, funny you mention the vermin. The flue that sticks out had a raccoon inside. I found this when I opened a fire box door in the basement and we stared at each other until I screamed and slammed the door on him. icon_eek.gif Scared the holy crap out of me. This home is on 11 acres in the country. I was inspecting by myself. From then on every door was opened very slowly.

NACHI MAB!

Originally Posted By: phinsperger

or more than 100 mm above the chimney cap.

Paul Hinsperger
Hinsperger Inspection Services
Chairman - NACHI Awards Committee
Place your Award Nominations
here !

What’s a mm? icon_lol.gif

NACHI MAB!

Originally Posted By: phinsperger

but bit bigger than a smiggin icon_wink.gif

Paul Hinsperger
Hinsperger Inspection Services
Chairman - NACHI Awards Committee
Place your Award Nominations
here !

Originally Posted By: jpeck

I believe it is required to be 2" higher than the cap.

50 mm divided by 10 = 5 cm divided by 2.54 cm per inch = 1.97".

Dat's purty dern close ta 2". ![icon_smile.gif](upload://b6iczyK1ETUUqRUc4PAkX83GF2O.gif)

--
Jerry Peck
South Florida

Originally Posted By: dsmith1

When I got up this morning is was only 6 degrees---------celcius, still cool in any language. icon_smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Blaine Wiley

Quote:
When I got up this morning is was only 6 degrees-

Well, our overnight low was 27 degrees and it looks like our high is going to be 32 or 33 degrees................celcius. ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif)

With possible hurricane’s in the area. No thanks I’ll take my few feet of snow a year. icon_lol.gif

NACHI MAB!

Originally Posted By: dedwards

Chuck,

Its a small chocolate candy (or peanut) in a thin candy shell.

Originally Posted By: jpeck

cmccann wrote:
With possible hurricane's in the area. No thanks I'll take my few feet of snow a year. ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif)

Chuck,

This is turning out to be an unusual year, two hitting Florida in the same year is not that common. Two within 3 weeks of each other is even less common. Two strong storms is even more uncommon, and both being Category 4 storms? Unfriggin believable.

I'll still take paradise with the few hurricanes we have (on average) over cold winters. Think about it this way: Hurricane Charley hit Punta Gorda and Port Charlotte, the first major hurricane to hit them is over 40 years. Those odds are not too bad. Orlando? Seldom gets a hurricane, but Charley got it - went directly over it (150,000 building damaged), and Frances appears ready to go over it too (and Frances is a much large storm).

Just another day in Paradise ... waiting for 'the big blow' ... to go out into the Atlantic.

--
Jerry Peck
South Florida