Kitchen Sink Drain Configuration

Just looking for source of information. Code requirement is a 1 1/2” trap and this doesn’t mean only one trap. Here’s the spoiler… I’ve piped hundreds of kitchen sinks in Chicago with a double wye with two 1 1/2” traps. It’s 100% legal. If you are going to suggest to an unknowing inspector call out a infraction you had better know what the hell you are saying is correct for his jurisdiction or remain on the sidelines.

Why install two traps when one is all you need? Look at all the extra fittings for nothing. JMO

Code requirement.

Same jurisdiction that required the two traps also required a 2” vent for the kitchen sink.

Did you connect the dishwasher drain to the waste disposal?

No the dishwasher was connected to a branch tailpiece.

There is a wye that connects to a santee inside the wall (I assume). Here is a question, where do the p-trap arms begin and end in the OP’s configuration?

It’s pretty clear they terminate in the wye. Are you assuming the tubular trap outlet was not cut and protrudes past the branch of the wye?

Based on what? what if there was a 2inch piece of pipe after the wye ? what if there was 6 inches of pipe after the wye? before it hit the santee

not assuming anything… I thought the trap arm end at the vent’s fitting. Would that fitting not be the santee? If you had a side-by-side double santee it would end at the double santee… if you put other fittings in between the santee and the trap’s weir, it does not make the arm end at the first fitting after the weir, does it?

Visual

Lots of what ifs.

No such thing. Drainage fitting would be correct.

Traps can discharge into a wye.

Simon every jurisdiction is different that’s why I address posts by irresponsible folks that say “this is wrong” without first hand knowledge of local codes and a VERY basic and often wrong interpretation of UPC or IPC. Best to say it looks fishy and contact a local plumber.

1 Like

P3107.1 Individual vent as common vent

An individual vent shall be permitted to vent two traps or trapped fixtures as a common vent. The traps or trapped fixtures being common vented shall be located on the same floor level.

A circuit vent can vent up to 8 fixtures including water closets and floor drains all of which discharge traps into a wye without a individual vent prior to entering the wye. This is IPC.

1 Like

Correct…

Now check out UPC 1001.1

Yup still looks good Simon. Can you be more specific?

OP is from NC they follow IPC. See what I mean about blanket quoting codes. It’s dangerous and some day a inspector is going to have a question like the OP and he is going to go back to the seller and ask the said configuration be addressed based on information he received on this site by an inspector with good intentions but no knowledge.

Good question Simon as evidence IPC and UPC are VERY different. I’ve been licensed in UPC and currently working on IPC as soon as the SC government is up and running. There are enough differences to make me crazy!

One trap per trap arm… the wye in OP’s pic is an extension of the arm for the sink. Yes, I know he’s in the IPC territory. I was just trying to point out that it may not be allowed depending on where you are at (the reason some posted and claimed it’s not allowed). You also seem to like UPC :slight_smile:

1 Like

Great point Simon. 30 years in UPC territory and now living in IPC the new codes are driving me nuts!

I do the codes are more strict and make sense. IPC is the Wild West and very vague.

Well, what can I say, the laws of nature are different in IPC territory :smiley:

1 Like

Yup it’s all about cheap and minimal piping. IPC is all about it. I see Shark Bite made it into the 2020 IPC. Not to bring up old disagreements but you were probably correct about Shark Bites in UPC🙂

605.13.7 in IPC. Was not in 2015 edition.

The IPC had it for a long time… they just were not as specific as they are now. If you look in the older IPC revisions, you will find:

605.14.2 Mechanical Joints
[Mechanical joints] shall be installed in accordance with the manufacturer’s instructions.

and in table 605.5, it will mention fittings in compliance with ASSE 1061 next to the material being joined (copper, pex, etc…). So… sharkbite fittings started to sell in US since about 2004, at which point they were already certified to meet ASSE 1061 standards.

PS: per before, I personally don’t like them for anything other than temp repair/work. However, calling them out during an inspection would be incorrect.