Kitchen Sink Drain Configuration

What is wrong with this plumbing besides it is amateurish. Something like this bit me in the butt once. It’s an “S” trap, but then it’s not etc. Just would like opinions.

1. NOT an S-Trap(s)
  2. Technically… multiple P-Traps on a single Horiz. run not allowed
  3. No & Improper install of high loop
  4. Use of non-Listed flexible drainpipe
  5. I question the cord for the Disposal, may not be ‘Appliance’ cord

May be more is we had an overall photo to look at.

4 Likes

Wow. Thanks brother. A bunch

I hate those accordion drain pipes. See 'em all the time.

When you say 2 p-traps on a horizontal run, are you referring to the two horizontal runs going into 1 pipe? Or p-traps on each sink need to have their own horizontal run or 1 trap?

Sound of music. Listen to the sound of the drain. LOL

2 Likes

Lol. That’s funny. I never liked those drains

Although a flexible accordion-shaped drain pipe is sold in home improvement and hardware stores, it is not approved for installation by plumbing codes, which require that any waste pipe fitting have a smooth interior surface that allows the free flow of drain water and prevents waste buildup clogs

These are sold under the guise of TEMPORARY, DIY, Emergency repair components, ie. pipe breaks on Friday night, can’t get a Plumber until Monday morning. Capiche’?

3 Likes

Aaaaahhhhh. Ok, got it. Thanks Jeffery

James S. Saunders, CPI
President, Member
Certified Inspectors of North Carolina LLC.

james@certinspectnc.com
Direct: 910-578-4943

You’ve got to say, I think that if I keep working at this and want it badly enough I can have it. It’s called perseverance. – Lee Iacocca

Jeffrey Jonas
jjonas
InterNACHI®️ CPI

April 27

These are sold under the guise of TEMPORARY, DIY, Emergency repair components, ie. pipe breaks on Friday night, can’t get a Plumber until Monday morning. Capiche’?

The two sink drains should drain to one single P-Trap before heading through a single drainpipe to the soil stack.

If the two sinks are drained separately and with their own P-Traps (as shown), they either:

1. Need their own horiz. run to the soil stack, or,
  2. Where they connect to each other with a wye, (as shown), the drainpipe needs to increase in diameter, which then is capable to carry both drains to the stack.

Simplest manner is to make proper connections at the sink and be done with it!!

2 Likes

Can you reference where this information is sourced from?

One trap only.

3 Likes

The corrugated pipe is not approved. The drain from the dishwasher should be fastened as high as possible to the bottom of the countertop before discharging into the disposal. Yes it’s a home owner install but there are NO OTHER problems with this install.

2 Likes

Yes that is one of many examples of how to pipe a kitchen sink.

1 Like

Thanks a bunch Jeffrey. I understand now. I appreciate your time

One with a disposal.

1 Like

Yup there’s another picture

You bet. Anytime. Looks like Marcel has it with the diagrams, although not an exact match (yet). :wink:
I would suggest Googling for a exact match, but 80% of whats there have issues, so didn’t want to confuse you.

Based upon your current configuration and apparent distances, this may be the best configuration to correct your issues…

Legal except for the possible deep trap.