Kitchen Sink Drain

Too funny… everyone is quick to blame the electrician, when he was he was just the 1st one in to install his garburator plug. It’s the cabinet installer who didn’t have a tape measure, or simply eyeballed where he should cut the opening for the plug.

1 Like

Yea Boy’…

I’ve been seeing these the past year (All have been Flips) …That Thar Plumbing Drain Gizzmo must be O’Tay as the label on it has an alphabet soup list of Plumbing code compliances longer than the list of ways Bubba can prepare Shrimp.

3 Likes

Yeah, Ryan, they put a new floor in this pre-used cabinet.

1 Like

I didn’t think flex hose was allowed in plumbing at all…

2 Likes

Mark, your analysis of the photos and interpretation of what’s wrong is appreciated. No one here will argue with the importance of a high loop on DW. But the question was actually answered in Post #3 when I posted the installation instructions for the ZippyTrap. This what we are looking at at a different angle.

I got the impression that the goofy part was the elbow at drain assembly. The OP hasn’t responded to our replies so we don’t really know if we answered his questions.

2 Likes

Apparently it’s approved in the 16 states that follow the UPC. I’m sure it’s being sold in hardware stores in all 50 states. The website says the UPC certification is valid in all 50 states the problem is the certification is not adopted or recognize by all 50 states. 34 States have adopted other than UPC plumbing codes.

From snappytrap.com

The rest of the country uses drain fittings that are approved by a third-party certification per NSF 14.

1 Like

This answers part of my question. I called out the drain from this elbow to the trap because it had a neg. slope. In my opinion, waste would accumulate in this area. Without pulling the dishwasher out, I would not be able to see if there was a “high loop” in the dishwasher drain line behind it.

1 Like

The loop needs to be visible in the under-sink cabinet.
Carry on.

1 Like

https://www.snappytrap.com/faq-s

Wasn’t the primary problem with the old accordion type flexible drain hoses being that the ribs extended to the interior of the pipe, which impedes drainage and increases the potential for clogs? The inside of the snappy trap is designed to be smooth and negates this problem.

Poor installation of the product is a different story, but if the product itself is good, there’s no need to hate on the product at least.

Noop. Many newer DW’s have loops incorporated in their design, within the unit itself, thus none required underneath the sink… BUT… if there is one that is not incorporated within the unit itself, it should be readily visible beneath the sink,

2 Likes

I don’t know what you’re talking about nobody is hating on this product. It’s approved in some states it’s not approved in other states. What is your affiliation with the manufacture of this product?

The undersink loop is in addition to the built-in one (which all modern DWs have). Every single manufacturer recommends it :slight_smile: Find one that does not. As far as code, there is no exception for built-in loops either, unless it’s something local in the world of Minnesota. So at minimum, it’s a violation of the manufacturer’s recommendations which supersede the code, right? :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I spent a few days trying to get to the bottom of what genius decided to approve that crapola as it contradicts parts of the UPC code, but I gave up, too much work. Maybe some other day.

2 Likes

I agree Simon has you know I think the UPC codes are more strict than international residential code. Somebody must’ve made a couple of bucks approving that garbage.

1 Like