Ladder Safety Training Course

Inspection & Writing Assignment:

Safety on the job is number one. All equipment must be properly cared for and in good working order.It is imperative that the worker and the people around know the safety concerns and ways to keep the job site safe, and a good environment to work in.

Research & Writing Assignment:

many different types of ladders may be used to do inspections. I prefer the telescopic kind, due to the fact that it is versatile and can be used outside and inside, for roof access and attic access. They are also very compact so I can put it in my trunk and it takes very little space.

I use this telescoping type I ladder for shorter heights usually under 10 feet. Its made from Aluminum and is easy to carry from area to area. I found it nice to utilize mostly inside homes accessing attic spaces mostly in closet type areas where space is limited.

After reading about ladder safey and watching the videos I see there are safety features that should be applied to every ladder use. Knowing the ratio 4:1 angle, tie off at gutter, 3 feet above the roof line are key to coming home safe.

In this picture we have an example of three of the most common types of ladders. First being a folding step ladder which cannot extend. The second is an extension ladder which has two sections. The last is an articulating ladder which can act as a step ladder or a straight ladder.

In reading the article, I have learned how extension ladders work. The fly section of a ladder is attached with brackets to the bed section of the ladder. A rope called a halyard is used to extend or retract the ladder. One must ensure that both dogs are locked on the ladder before climbing.

This is a step ladder. It’s a new ladder in good working condition. The steps are textured and slip-resistant. It has warning stickers to not step above the second to last step. The feet on the ladder are constructed to prevent slip and movement.

I read the “Ladder Safety” article. A lot of the article was about information that was in the Ladder Safety class. The alternatives section had some new information though. The spectoscope is a safe alternative, although I don’t think it’s as good as actually getting on the roof. I think drones are a better alternative. I read an article about them earlier. They give you a view just as good as if you were on the roof from the safety of the ground.

My Job site Ladder Inspection Findings. Notice Extension ladder used by roofing company with proper Tie off on top & in the midway. Proper3’ Extension pass roof line. And proper 5’ Distance from wall. But no Barricade,warning caution signs visible

Image of Broken wooden ladder rung. That was the perfect topic for this safety ladder course. Not only wooden ladders can crack but as well metal & Fiber glass too. That’s why it important to inspect all ladders Before Inspections

This is the “Little Giant” ladder system. Can be used at multiple sizes of A-frame, extension, 90-degree ladders, or as a scaffold system. This ladder reaches a full fifteen feet. This Little Giant Velocity Model 17 exceeds all OSHA and ANSI standards and is rated for up to three hundred pounds.

I CAME ACROSS THIS GENTLEMAN USING A STEP LADDER (PICTURE ATTACHED). I FOUND HIS USAGE OF THE STEP LADDER TO BE IMPROPER BASE ON JUST A FEW OBSERVATIONS FROM A DISTANCE. FIRSTLY, I THINK THIS LADDER WAS PROBABLY NOT THE BEST CHOICE FOR THE JOB HE WAS DOING DUE TO THE FACT THAT THE LADDER WAS NOT THE CORRECT HEIGHT FOR THE JOB MAKING HIM CLIMB INTO AN UNSAFE POSITION, AND CREATING AN UNSTABLE CONDITION. SECONDLY, IT MIGHT BE DIFFICULT TO TELL FROM THE PHOTO BECAUSE IT WAS TAKEN FROM A DISTANCE, BUT THE HINGES WERE NOT LOCKED WHICH CAN BE POTENTIALLY HAZARDOUS. LASTLY, THE LADDER WAS POSITIONED WAY TOO FAR FROM THE JOB HE WAS DOING MAKING IT INCREASINGLY DIFFICULT FOR HIM TO REACH HIS OBJECTIVE.

I came across an illustration in the Internachi photo gallery depicting a gentleman properly using an extension ladder. Judging by the photo, i can clearly come to the determination that the person using the ladder has properly placed the ladder foot away from the building for every feet of height, and I see that the gentleman has 3 points of contact with the ladder as he is using it.

(Alterations)
In many homes you will find “diy” alterations. Some of the most dangerous ones are when it has to do with anything structural in the home. As an inspector, it’s important to be up to date on basic building codes and materials. This will enable you to spot any alterations that don’t look up to code and we can recommend that a structural engineer inspect any alteration.

The base rung of this ladder is compromised and shall prohibit the use of this ladder, moving forward. Not only should this ladder not be used, it should be clearly marked and tagged so that no other worker attempts to use this ladder.

Ladder Deaths are among the highest in the world, in the United States. One might likely assume that most of these are the result of construction related accidents; however it is not necessarily the trained user that is involved in such occurrences. The theory that American consumers are more interested in instant gratification, as opposed to waiting for a trained professional to perform the task, might be the reason for these incidents. Americans have the luxury of being able to purchase pretty much any piece of equipment, as we are a nation of consumers. Many tradesmen argue the fact that “just because you can buy it, doesn’t make you an expert.” This holds some merit, as in the case of ladders. Consumer safety does not ensure proper training, nor are they required to do so and this is a very big problem in our country.

The following ladder used to access a roof was an articulated ladder. It is a 16 foot ladder but the maximum working height is no more than 13 feet. While setting it up I had 3 feet of ladder above the roof line to safely walk the roof. The rungs were clean and dry with no signs of oil or rust.

i had someone come to my house to do some painting for me so i asked if the needed anything they needed a latter so i let them borrow one of mine. i went to do something and when i came back i found the ladder leaning up against the wall. they had been standing on it painting it was very unsafe asthe pic will show that i send nothing to hold the ladder in place.

Upon reading the “Ladder Safety” article I learned a few things. For example, I learned that a rule to follow is that when using an extension ladder, don’t stand higher than the fourth rung from the top. And when using a step ladder, don’t stand higher than the second rung from the top when working. This creates an unsafe situation. Also make sure that you or another qualified person inspects the ladder before using. If there is a defect don’t use the ladder.

This is my step ladder. To use it safely, the hinges must be locked before climbing on it, I should never step past the second to last step, I should never sit on the top of it, and the load shouldn’t exceed 225 lbs according to this ladder’s rating.