Ladder Safety Training Course

Research & Writing Assignment:

After reading the Ladder Safety article written by Nick Gromicko and Kenton Shepard, I learned that when using a ladder to climb onto a roof, it’s important to follow the 4:1 rule. This means that when leaning the ladder against the house, the angle should be such that the base of the ladder should be 1/4th the working length of the ladder. For example, if the ladder extends to 16 feet where it reaches the roof, then there should be 4 feet of distance between the building and the base of the ladder. Also, the ladder should extend at least 3 feet beyond the roof in order for it to be safe to climb on the roof. Another point that stuck out to me was that climbing on the roof isn’t always necessary, as you can simply use binoculars or a telescoping pole using your phone to video the roof. That’s a relief to me, in case I ever encounter a situation in which I don’t feel safe climbing onto the roof.

1 Like

there are 9 different types of ladders made but only some are used by home inspectors. the world health org. says the u.s. leads the world in accidents and deaths from ladder mishaps. 164,000 e.r.related injuries and 300 deaths a year from falls. a lot of the fall are from only 10ft and alot are from construction sites. im glad we take classes on ladder safty because i know some have never been around areas where a ladder had to be used alot of the accidents are caused by carelessness.

Inspection & Writing Assignment:

This image depicts a self supporting step ladder being used inappropriately. The intended use should have the ladder unfolded outwards so the side hinges lock into place. A ladder should never be used for anything except it’s intended use. This is an unsafe applications and does not meet the OSHA standards.

Ladder safety was chosen from the Library of Inspection Articles. The United States leads the world in ladder fall fatalities. Most of these falls are from ten feet or less. Some common causes are mounting or dismounting the ladder improperly, losing one’s balance and over-reaching while on the ladder.

Ladder safety is very important for inspectors to follow. This is a self supporting ladder that should only be climbed on the step side and never on the top 2 steps. Ladder safe is one of the leading causes of inspector injuries

Ladder safety should be followed whenever an inspector is on site of an inspection One safety feature would be to place a sign on the ladder when not in use to deter anyone of climbing and risking a potential injury

1 Like

This essay is about ladders. I choose to use my articulated ladder. It is rated for 300 lbs. It has one set of articulating joints. These are engaged by pushing in the blue side knobs. I can use this ladder as a step ladder or a single ladder.It extends from either end. Its heavy, but very easy to adjust and move around. I has a wide base which makes for a secure feeling when going up on the roof.

1 Like

For this essay I choose an article about Ladder Safety. I have learned in this course that there are a variety of ladders, all useable for different projects. A step ladder, good for projects closer to the ground, an articulating ladder, good for either close to the ground or higher up, and an extension ladder which is great for projects higher up. For every 4 feet up, the ladder needs to be positioned 1 foot away from the structure. The 4:1 rule. Also, the base of your ladder needs to be very secure, no matter which type of ladder is used. The ladder needs to be in excellent condition for the inspector to use it; i.e, rungs, cleats and steps. The ladder should not be painted as to cover up defects or damage.
Use extreme caution when working around power lines, at least 10 feet away. Always extend the ladder 3 feet above where you plan on getting onto the roof. Also, tying down the ladder onto the roof is a good safety feature to use.
The inspector should always use their own ladder, never one that is laying around at the job site; it could be damaged and unsafe.
In conclusion, safety first. Falling off a ladder can get you hurt badly or kill you. The United States has the most deaths from ladder falls.

Hello my name is Matthew, but I go by Kyle. I’m very new to this industry but I’m going to give it my best. Thank you

Hello! Taking the ladder safety course, thank you all!

My name is RJ and I am a recent hire with Allied Home Inspections Services in Miami, FL. It is a great company and I am glad to be onboard. The best to all of you and thanks.

Anthony Clate

Hello everyone. Full time firefighter here. Going to give it my best!

Good rule to follow!

Hello. I’m taking the ladder safety course.

Always good to brush up on ladder safety.