Laundry exhaust fan ALWAYS On

Well, I have info now if I ever come across one. Hopefully I can explain it to the client why it runs all the time…and not required to do so…

All I am saying is that I don’t call an exhaust fan like the OP describes a whole house fan. Unless it is of a size that can meet what you posted.
whole-house mechanical ventilation system shall provide outdoor air at a continuous rate as determined in accordance with Table M1505.4.3(1) or Equation 15-1. Ventilation rate in cubic feet per minute = ( 0.01 × total square foot area of house) + [7.5 × (number of

1 Like

I agree, it’s not a whole-house fan (the old school one that is like 2x2 feet), it’s an exhaust fan that’s part of the whole-house mechanical ventilation requirement. Why would it not meet the requirement I posted? let’s use 3000sqft house with 4 bedrooms as an example: 3000 x 0.01 + (7.5 x 4+1) = 67.5CFM. Just how big would 67.5CFM fan be :smiley: What’s shown in OP’s pic can easily do 67.5CFM.

OP just said exhaust fan and then someone posted a friggin bathroom size fan, so I assumed it was not a whole house fan of typical size but rather a 80or 100 cfm exhaust.
And a washroom has a door, so you expect a little fan like that to pull all that air exchange from under the door for the whole house?

LOL I understand… but now that we’re on the same page (I hope)…

I don’t expect anything… I wasn’t there… but look at the OP’s second picture, there is a grill of sort. Anyway… if it passed code inspection, they must have accommodated the intake somehow. I was just trying to explain why it was running 24/7 and its purpose. As far as if 60CFM running 24/7 is enough… I don’t know how they came up with the formula, I never looked into it, but if the house is tighter than 2 coats of paint, then it’s better than nothing :slight_smile: I’ll side with the experts for now.

1 Like

I would continue to call it out and let the client decide.

1 Like

Pretty sure they were not LEED certified.

The fan grill in the picture is one of the laundry room “FART FANS”. Same size grate as the ones the builder used in the bathrooms. So far each homeowner complained about it. They were loud and barely help up a piece of T.P. and vented through the roof.

If the point of this is supposed to be efficiency or environmentally friendly, it still doesn’t make sense. Let’s forcefully suck in -40℉ air in January so the kid’s bedrooms with their cheep “contractor grade” vinyl windows with non low E glass are freezing while the furnace is blowing all day burning more gas and using more electricity OR August when it’s pushing 100℉ outside and the A/C unit is about to blow up because it hasn’t stopped running in a week and oh yeah and the outside air is filled with wildfire smoke… ok sounds like a Dennis Leery rant now, lol… How is that supposed to be good for any one or thing???
Regardless, for the homeowners sanity I think it should be able to be turned off. After all, the builder DID install a power switch for it, even though it doesn’t work. Or like Larry said, call it out and let the home owner decide whether or not to turn it in to the builder. It’s their warranty…

Did some searching and it seems this builder is a spin-off of DR-Horton. Glorified crap homes, I mean Tract Homes… go figure. Funny though, they don’t use this constant “fart fan” set up in other nearby areas where they are building houses.

2 Likes

Air tight homes?

Request disclosure from the builder.
Move on.

Mr. Duranre. Please refrain from callous language. Be professional or at the very least try.
A bathroom fan is a air circulation fan. The fan eliminates odors and humidity.
TP might be better defined as toilet tissue.
I hope you do not narrate in the fashion in front of clients.

Any air change requirement would typically require a fresh air intake as make up air would not qualify as an air change

Robert. Please use his proper name. Be professional or at the very least try… :wink:

2 Likes

Good morning Mr. Young,
There seemed to be a bit of confusion on the type of venting equipment used in this home. The reference I used was merely for clarification in what I presumed to be a room full of adults that do not wear their feelings on their shirt sleeves. And, NO I don’t use language such as this in my narratives.

2 Likes

Michael welcome, meet Robert, he is harmless, he even posts useful info from time to time :slight_smile:

1 Like

That’s where you went wrong, you offended his sleeve. LOL

1 Like

I definitely don’t want mine to circulate the FART air! I prefer mine as an exhaust fan. Come on Rob!

1 Like

The “ghost” switch probably has the wiring behind it to allow the homeowner to hook it to the fan.

2 Likes

Thank you, Micheal.
Don’t confuse edicate with emotions on the MB. Unfortunately bad manners can become bad habits was all I was trying to say.
Keep well.
Robert

The posters above you, Mr. Graton has tied himself in knots trying to defend his poor manners. Roy Cooke senior could sure teach edicate lessons, Right Marcel…LOL

Nor would I appreciate flatulence orders, intestinal gas, eructation.

I thought about that on the last one I did. Just might have to pop the cover off the next time to see…