Lawn irrigation system in crawlspace?

I just inspected a home that had all the lawn irrigation plumbing (valves distribution manifold and piping) installed in the crawlspace. The pipe was PVC. Is this an acceptable application?

Not quite sure of your question Lance. Is PVC acceptable or the system being installed in a crawlspace acceptable? Plus, your location may dictate how irrigation systems should be installed.

1 Like

I have built many irrigation manifolds with PVC. No problem there. Location could be an issue depending on local regulations…

1 Like

Hi Thomas,
I am located in Oregon, Lawn irrigation systems are always installed outside the foundation here. I have never seen a irrigation system installed inside a crawlspace and was curious if PVC is acceptable as a pressurized pipe in a crawl space other than a primary portable water feed. I’ve been unable to locate any regulations that address irrigation systems installed inside the structure

I just reread my last post it was supposed to say potable water feed, I hate auto correct

The irrigation valves should be outside in a valve box. Some older systems have been installed inside a basement or crawlspace to prevent damage from freezing. This, however, is a “homeowner” special, not a professional way to install an irrigation system. Today, if installed by a professional contractor, the valves would be outside, in the ground, protected by a valve box with a cover. While a PVC manifold is not an issue and is normal, it can handle high pressure, the valves themselves are not rated for indoor installation. For service they should be outside. I would note this in my report.

1 Like

Thanks Simon
The home is a 1975 special, However it is rather high-end Home so I doubt it was a homeowner special. I imagine they did put it in the crawlspace to try to protect it from freezing weather, it gets rather cold here in the winter. It’s good information to have about the valves not being rated for indoor installation.
Thank you for the input, I wasn’t able to find anything related to it in the Oregon regulations.

1 Like

That’s because the O rings at the solenoid can dry out and spit water as they age. I had one at my own house blow apart a couple years ago. It was pretty old though, 15 years maybe. the valve box was in the yard and the grass sure loved it. :laughing: Freeze protection should come from high pressure air anyway… Blow out the system in the fall and no worries for winter. I usually do mine mid September and don’t turn anything on till mid May.

1 Like

We are in a similar climate here irrigation is blown out mid September to mid-May. I’ve seen Frost in July and August but never enough to do any damage.

1975 manifold would usually be copper. Post pics of the valves, I may be able to tell if they are original or not.

Photo didn’t turn out as good as it should have. Judging by the valves that they put it in I would say it was early to mid 90s installation. They used nice quality Grade valves but they are still irrigation valves. They even installed scrubber valves which is odd because there is no irrigation pond or unfiltered water source.