Lead Piping

I just inspected a 1930 bungalow and the water service piping was lead up to the main shut-off valve. The piping was sound, with no leaks. I mentioned the lead piping in my report, but didn’t report it as a defect, because this was standard practice in the mid-west until the 40’s, when soft copper came into use. Was I wrong to not write it up as a defect and possible health hazard? There are literally thousands of houses in my area with lead service lines.
mp

Lead water-supply piping should always be written up as a defect and potential health hazard.

I disagree…
http://water.epa.gov/drink/info/lead/lead1.cfm
The entire municipality where I live has a Lead Main Municipal Water System…
Changing the lead supply line to the home does not change / affect the risk…
Caution is advised in making statements that are speculative and can not be substantiated…

Speculative only in that I did not consider his jurisdiction, however, in CA our standards are different. The state of CA doesn’t even allow pipes/fixtures/faucets to be sold or distributed unless they meet strict CA lead-free guidelines. These same pipes/fixture/faucets can be sold and installed in almost any other state in the nation, other than ours.

Considering our sates’ position, any lead supply lines in CA should be identified as a potential health hazard.

YMMV

Again…
just because the stub out in the home may be copper…
it is not indicative of the Municipal Main…
Lead and older wood main piping…
is very common…
We are not in California…
we are on the Right Coast…

Is Mike in PA also? Maybe we should make that clear when asking questions.

Jeff, in my opinion, lead supply piping would be more of a potential health hazard than a defect.

The piping was not defective in its use, the hazard was to your health. :slight_smile:

Mike is in East Peoria, Illinois.

Well that explains it. :stuck_out_tongue:

What do you know CA has lower standards then CA. But on the other hand highest standard in IAQ.

Agreed.

I come across lots of lead water service piping here and I always identify it to my client and comment regarding the potential health hazards, recommend water quality testing, provide them with a printed attachment to my report regarding the risks, and provide them with the EPA website link regarding lead in water.