Light Fixture above Jacuzzi w/ Shower Spray Nozzle

The attached light fixture is 35" above the jacuzzi tub. How would you write this up? Thanks very much.

March 04 2008 036.jpg

March 04 2008 036.jpg

If the fixture is listed for a damp location of wet location if it is subject to shower spray then I wouldn’t worry with writing it up as anything.

Thanks Mike.

Sorry that should have been damp location OR wet location insetad of
damp location OF wet location

Please review this rule from the NEC:

680.43 Indoor Installations

Joe,
Would that installation fall under Part IV or Part VII?

Is it a spa or hot tub or is it a hydromassage bathtub?

If it is a hydromassage bathtub then this is the rule for the light fixture;
680.72 Other Electrical Equipment.
Luminaires (lighting fixtures), switches, receptacles, and other electrical equipment located in the same room, and not directly associated with a hydromassage bathtub, shall be installed in accordance with the requirements of Chapters 1 through 4 in this Code covering the installation of that equipment in bathrooms.

From the picture it looks to me like it gets drained after each use and if it does then it is a;
Hydromassage Bathtub. A permanently installed bathtub equipped with a recirculating piping system, pump, and associated equipment. It is designed so it can accept, circulate, and discharge water upon each use.

I can’t say for sure which it is and you may be right. I was only assuming based on the picture.

I’m with Mike on this one. This is not a spa

**This will make it easier for a LICENSED CERTIFIED Home Inspector to see that the installation of the fixture in the picture above is illegal!

410.4(D)** Bathtub and Shower Areas No parts of cord-connected luminaires (fixtures), chain-, cable-, or cord-suspended-luminaires (fixtures), lighting track, pendants, or ceiling-suspended (paddle) fans shall be located within a zone measured 900 mm (3 ft) horizontally and 2.5 m (8 ft) vertically from the top of the bathtub rim or shower stall threshold. This zone is all encompassing and includes the zone directly over the tub or shower stall. Luminaires (lighting fixtures) located in this zone shall be listed for damp locations, or listed for wet locations where subject to shower spray.

LOL.

Thank you for illustrating for us why we should stay away from code references and interpretations.

As stated previously and demonstrated here, code “experts” rarely agree and the many, many variables make it impractical for a home inspector to attempt to reference it in his report.

This is a hydromassage tub. It is not a spa or hot tub.

The fixture’s installation appears to be unsatisfactory. Refer this for further evaluation and corrective action by a licensed electrical contractor.

It is not “illegal”. No one is going to jail, and the house can still be sold “as is”.

It was simply not installed in compliance with a portion of the electrical code, and is hazardous.

Nothing the inspector comments during an inspection will effect the transferrability of the dwellng in question. The client may accept that the installation is unsatisfactory. Referecing an electrical code DOES NOT help the client, other than point him to verbiage that is often confusing.

You say that it is unsatisfactory, and do so in clear, non-confusing terms that everyone can understand.

Heres the problem with referring to Joe’ T’s code clip:

It aint a cord-connected fixture.
It aint a chain, cable, or cord-suspended fixture.
It aint a lighting track.
It aint a paddle fan.
Does it qualify as a pendant?

If so, the rule applies. If not, this portion of the code doesnt fit. The last sentance, with regard to properly rated fixtures does. We could add to our commentary somethng like 'It does not appear that the wall fixture is rated for damp or wet locations".

See the image here for the restriction.

From this illustration that clearly shows an example of the the luminary {on the right side} it seems quite clear that you are correct.

To me the illustration in post #11 is the same thing as the image in post #1.

I say code compliant, but a dumb installation.

That IS, by the way, an outdoor fixture.

Shower spray? Who knows. At this point I’d say no.

I wouldn’t do an installation like that on my own volition. If a customer asked for it to be done that way, from what I can see from the picture, I’d be hard pressed to give them a code reason why I couldn’t do it that way. This is another case of “legal, but dumb”.

In his original post Tim states that this light is just* **35-***inches above the bathtub / Jacuzzi.

The Graphic that Joe T. provided illustrates the following code that stipulates that this type of “luminary” has to be at least 8-feet above the bathtub.

Quote: Joe Tedesco
410.4(D) Bathtub and Shower Areas:
No parts of cord-connected luminaries (fixtures), chain-, cable-, or cord-suspended-luminaries (fixtures), lighting track, pendants, or ceiling-suspended (paddle) fans shall be located within a zone measured 900 mm (3 ft) horizontally and 2.5 m (***8 ft) vertically from the top ***of the bathtub rim or shower stall threshold.

• This zone is all encompassing and includes the zone directly over the tub or shower stall.

Luminaries (lighting fixtures) located in this zone ***shall be listed ***for damp locations, or listed for **wet locations where subject to shower sprayEnd Quote:

*]IMO the Code and the Graphic clearly illustrates that this installation is not code complaint… or… am I missing something here?

Yes, that fixture is not a cord-connected luminaries (fixtures), chain-, cable-, or cord-suspended-luminaries (fixtures), lighting track, pendants, or ceiling-suspended (paddle) fans. It is a wall-mounted fixture.

The original photo shows a 'securely mounted wall luminaire" which is permitted in the ‘zone’, right? Marc & Petey say yes…

fixture.jpg

fixture.jpg

fixture.jpg

Yea, it’s permitted. Just seems like a dumb idea, to me. You could technically have the ability to change the light bulb in an energized fixture while you were taking a bath. If I was installing such a thing, you can bet your back-side that I’d feed it from a GFCI.

Quote:
Luminaries (lighting fixtures) located in this zone shall be listed for damp locations, or listed for wet locations where subject to shower spray.
End Quote:

I beg to differ … The Graphic shows both a wall mounted and a ceiling mounted/ installed luminary.

The light fixture / luminary in Tim’s photo looks like an “Outdoor” light.

Look to the left side of this graphic. It shows that you need an 8-foot clearance.