Light Fixture above Jacuzzi w/ Shower Spray Nozzle

You really need to read the code text, if you’re interested in getting this sorted out in your mind, and pay less attention to the graphics. The graphic, by the way, shows that wall mounted fixture in the restricted zone because it’s the only fixture permitted in that zone. I think that’s why the graphic designer called it a “restricted zone”, because the restrictions basicly only permit that wall mounted fixture in that zone and restrict all other types.

Can we lat least agree that if the pictured fixture in post #1 is rated for damp or wet locations it would be permitted in the restricted area of Joe T.'s diagram.:wink:

The Graphic shows a “Restricted Zone” that is 3-feet from the edge of the tub and 8-feet from the top of the tub and up.

IMO that means that NOTHING can be within or lower than 8-feet from the top of the tub or closer than 3-feet of the side of the tub.

Yes!

Frank…what does it say below the fixture in the graphic?

3-Feet? Hee hee hee!:stuck_out_tongue:

You’ve developed an opinion based upon a graphic only. The graphic is not part of any enforceable text. Put a properly rated wall mounted fixture in that zone, and it’s flatly permitted. You can not like it, and we’d be in agreement. If you want to ague what’s permitted (my forte, not yours), then you’d be wrong in your assessment.

-over and out.

Over and out … :roll:

Then, what exactly is the issue? That is an exterior type fixture in the original photo. I thought you were thinking that no fixture can be in that zone, but now it appears not. I’m confused, but I’m glad we agree, just the same.

Where did they find that illustration?
Here is the one I found.

I am glad that you are glad!:stuck_out_tongue:
</IMG>

I just read everything from when I was on last and also don’t understand the confusion.

If that fixture is a wet rated fixture than it is allowed in that location.
Well, it IS a wet rated fixture. I see tham all the time.

Seems pretty clear to me.

This is my point.

NOTHING IN JOE T’S NEC SECTION PROHIBITS THIS INSTALLATION.

The fixture in the photo is an outdoor rated luminaire. Period, end of report. The units prohibited by code reference do not represent the fixture described.

Okay, Sparkies… now you understand my passion about us NOT QUOTING CODE. It has been misinterpreted right here, right now. If we reference it in the report, we have pointed our clients to a section which will only confuse them.

The code does NOT prohibit this installation. Period.

It is a properly rated unit for this location.

To Mark S’s point about GFCI protection… it’s a given. But, it’s still pretty scary.

Illustrations do not replace the written word when it comes to code applicability. Illustrations are intended to augment the written word with an image. In this case, we dont need it.

It’s not a pendant light
Its not a paddle fan.
Its not a track light.
Its not cord, chain, or cable.
It is NOT described as being prohibited in that code reference.
It is not “illegal”

Its a permanently and securely mounted exterior lighting fixture mounted in a crappy place. It is rated for damp and wet locations, because as we know, it rains from time to time.

And, unfortunately, it’s acceptable according to the “code”.

CODE FIGHT! CODE FIGHT!

Hee Hee Hee :mrgreen:

ROTFLMAO!
I haven’t had so much fun since the hogs ate my little sister!:stuck_out_tongue:

Hey Frank, ask her if she understand this rule.](http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=080ZCtbfats&feature=related)

**Bathtub and Shower Areas No parts of cord-connected luminaires (fixtures), ****chain-, cable-, or cord-suspended-luminaires (fixtures), lighting track, pendants, ****or ceiling-suspended (paddle) fans shall be located within a zone measured900 ****mm (3 ft) horizontally and 2.5 m (8 ft) vertically from the top of the bathtub rim or shower stall threshold. **

**This zone is all encompassing and includes the zone directly over the tub or ****shower stall. **

**Luminaires (lighting fixtures) located in this zone shall be listed for damp ****locations, or listed for wet locations where subject to shower spray. **

There seems to be some confusion…

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Mi–QrC2ic&feature=related

Joe T,

The fixture in question is an exterior unit. Therefore, it is rated.

One might recommend GFCI protection for the light as an added safety measure. If you were slipping in that tub it might be grabbed in an attempt to save one’s self, pulling it loose and possibly getting shocked. it sure is at a convenient height for that to happen.

That certainly seems reasonable. I do a few things above and beyond code. If a customer wanted that light pictured in the original post, I’d absolutely GFCI protect it, even though it’s not otherwise required by the code. The code documents are a minimum set of safety requirements, and everyone is certainly permitted to exceed, or suggest exceeding, those basic requirements.