Light fixture in shower

As I recall, light fixtures in a shower are required to be damp-proof if lower than 8’ off the floor of the shower. This one is under 8’. How do I know if it a damp-proof fixture? Is this OK?

I would report that it could not be verified as correct for the application.

If you are really concerned, advise not to use the shower until it has been verified or replaced.

That IS an outdoor (WET location) fixture, and is fine in that application.

http://www.mikeholt.com/newsletters.php?action=display&letterID=397

If you can’t determine if it’s a waterproof fixture, simply call it for an Electrician’s evaluation.

“Click to Enlarge”
bath-elect.JPG

David, that graphic is a bit misleading. You ARE allowed a fixture in that area, just not a hanging fixture.
This one is a bit clearer:

3ft. by 8 ft. tub shower elec. zone.jpg

I know this may not seem right but if you trhink of it, there is not much difference between being in the shower and standing on the front porch in the rain.
I would like to see that GFCI protected but it is just a desire, not a rule.

Seems like lately I’ve noticed a label on a lot of exterior weatherproof fixtures that say “exterior use only”. That fixture pictured has a bit of age on it, so I’m nearly certain that it doesn’t feature that label. Some modern outdoor fixtures are coming through that way now, however.

Maybe I should go look at the jelly yars in my attic.

That brings back a flashback for me.

I wired a home in which the owner ran out of money for fixtures, but still wanted a final inspection. Every sidemount light ended up being jelly jar fixtures, and every overhead light or fan ended up being a keyless. That was one funny looking house. It was near 4,000 square feet and 3 stories. I bet I put a case of keyless lampholders in that house.

That was a question at an IAEI meeting I was at and it was more than half that said a blanked off box was “a lighting outlet”. Most agreed you needed a real light in places where they are required by other articles but the glaring exception seemed to be the switch operated light in a room if everyone (builder, inspector, H/O) agreed the customer was going to install their own luminaire. I still voted with those who said the only way I would do this is if they had a switched receptacle.
An unqualified person still needs to be able to get a light in that room. I agreed with your keyless or perhaps even a 5-15 in a round cover on the ceiling.

That’s when I invented the “quick light” fast change ceiling box/luminaire system but it never went anywhere, mostly because of my inactivity. :wink:

For some reason I thought the wall switch had to be a certain distance from the tub or shower enclosure. But these diagrams dont show that. Was this a rule of thumb in the past?

No code requirement for switches outside the shower area. Not allowed within the shower enclosure.

“Click to Enlarge”
bath-switch.JPG

Factually…the fixture shown would be fine I guess under existing standards because they codes are not retroactive…However it is important to note that if you guys are inspecting NEW construction be aware of the listing requirement below:

**(A) Wet and Damp Locations. **Luminaires (fixtures) installed
in wet or damp locations shall be installed so that
water cannot enter or accumulate in wiring compartments,
lampholders, or other electrical parts. All luminaires (fixtures)
installed in wet locations shall be marked, "Suitable
for Wet Locations." All luminaires (fixtures) installed in damp
locations shall be marked, “Suitable for Wet Locations” or
“Suitable for Damp Locations.”

**[FONT=Times-Bold]size=2 Bathtub and Shower Areas. **No parts of cordconnected
luminaires (fixtures), chain-, cable-, or cordsuspended-
luminaires (fixtures), lighting track, pendants, or
ceiling-suspended (paddle) fans shall be located within a
zone measured 900 mm (3 ft) horizontally and 2.5 m (8 ft)
vertically from the top of the bathtub rim or shower stall
threshold. This zone is all encompassing and includes the
zone directly over the tub or shower stall. Luminaires
(lighting fixtures) located in this zone shall be listed for
damp locations, or listed for wet locations where subject to
shower spray.
[/size][/FONT]

**(A) Wet and Damp Locations.

**Luminaires (fixtures) installed
in wet or damp locations shall be installed so that
water cannot enter or accumulate in wiring compartments,
lampholders, or other electrical parts. All luminaires (fixtures)
installed in wet locations shall be marked, "Suitable
for Wet Locations." All luminaires (fixtures) installed in damp
locations shall be marked, “Suitable for Wet Locations” or
“Suitable for Damp Locations.”

**[FONT=Times-Bold]size=2 Bathtub and Shower Areas.

No parts of cordconnected
luminaires (fixtures), chain-, cable-, or cordsuspended-
luminaires (fixtures), lighting track, pendants, or
ceiling-suspended (paddle) fans shall be located within a
zone measured 900 mm (3 ft) horizontally and 2.5 m (8 ft)
vertically from the top of the bathtub rim or shower stall
threshold. This zone is all encompassing and includes the
zone directly over the tub or shower stall. Luminaires
(lighting fixtures) located in this zone shall be listed for
damp locations, or listed for wet locations where subject to
shower spray.

[/size][/FONT]
[/quote]

To any of the Sparky Corps:

Do you have a reference for above. Local AHJ, Sparky, Realtor and I are in a discussion on this subject.

Thanks much

Bill

**National Electrical Code Article #410 – **Lighting Fixtures, Lampholders, Lamps, and Receptacles

#410-4 Luminaires (Fixtures) in Specifi c Locations

a) Wet and Damp Locations.

Luminaires (fixtures) installed in wet or damp locations
shall be installed so that water cannot enter or ac cu mu late
in wiring compartments, lampholders, or other electrical parts.
All luminaires (fixtures) installed in wet locations shall be
marked, “Suitable for Wet Locations”. All luminaires (fi xtures)
installed in damp locations shall be marked, “Suitable for
Damp Locations”.

410.4(D) Bathtub and Shower Areas

No parts of cord-connected luminaires (fixtures), chain, cable, or cord suspended luminaires (fixtures), lighting track, pendants, or ceiling-suspended (paddle) fans shall be located within a zone measured 900 mm (3 ft) horizontally and 2.5 m (8 ft) vertically from the top of the bathtub rim or shower stall threshold. This zone is all encompassing and includes the zone directly over the tub or shower stall. Luminaires (lighting fixtures) located in this zone shall be listed for damp locations, or listed for wet locations where subject to shower spray.

Handbook Commentary:

A revision of 410.4(D) simply clarifies that securely fastened luminaires installed in or on the ceiling or wall are permitted to be located in the bathtub or shower area. Where they are subject to shower spray, the luminaires must be listed for a wet location. Luminaires installed in the tub or shower zone and not subject to shower spray are required to be listed for use in a damp location.

The intent of 410.4(D) is to keep cord-connected, chain-hanging, or pendant luminaires and suspended fans out of the reach of an individual standing on a bathtub rim. The list of prohibited items recognizes that the same risk of electric shock is present for each one.

I probably overlooked it, but I didn’t see the definitions of “wet” and “damp” locations in the code definitions section. Can someone provide tell me where to find those?

Frank,

Here ya go…

**NEC Definitions: **from the National Electric Code

**Dry Locations: **A location not normally subject to dampness or wetness. A location classifi ed as dry may be temporarily subject to damp ness or wetness, as in the case of a building under construction.

**Damp Location: **Locations protected from weather and not subject to saturation with water or other liquids but subject to moderate degrees of moisture. Examples of such locations include partially protected locations under canopies,marquees, roofed pen porches, and like locations, and interior locations subject to moderated degrees of moisture, such as basements, some barns, and some cold storage buildings.

**Wet Locations: **Installations underground or in concrete slabs or masonry in direct contact with the earth; in locations subject to saturation with water or other liquids, such as vehicle washing areas; and in unprotected locations exposed to weather.

**UL Definitions: **from UL Standard Publication 1598

**Dry Locations: **A location not normally subject to dampness, but may include a location subject to temporary dampness, as in the case of a building under construction, provided ventilation is adequate to prevent an accumulation of moisture.

**Damp Location: **An exterior or interior location that is normally or periodically subject to condensation of moisture in, on, or adjacent to, electrical equipment, and includes partially protected locations.

**Wet Locations: **A location in which water or other liquid can drip, splash, or flow on or against electrical equipment. A wet location luminaire shall be constructed to prevent the accumulation of water on live parts, electrical components, or conductors not identified for use in contact with water. A luminaire that permits water to enter the luminaire (during the rain test of Clause 13.5.2 or the sprinkler test of Clause 13.5.3)
shall be provided with a drain hole.

Interesting - so what is a “roofed pen porch”? Are all basements “damp locations” by definition? Mine is as dry as any other area of the house.

I believe they’re referring to a “farmers porch”…

http://www.newbridgehomes.com/renovations/slides/porch1.jpg

If you’ve got a dry basement, it’s a dry location.
If someone has a damp basement, it’s a damp location.

It explicitly states locations that are "subject to moderated degrees of moisture".
They’re simply giving examples of locations that could be considered “damp locations”.