Looking for a wire gage

I have been looking for something to double check wire sizes with in a panel. I have been looking for something I can lay alongside the wire to compare the size. (Needless to say, something non-conductive would be my preference.)

Has anyone got any ideas? Thanks for your help.


Go to home Depot and have them cut a 6 inch piece of each wire and carryt them with you. In a few weeks you will not need them.

I used to have them epoxied on the back of my guys plastic clip boards. 1/2 to 1 inch lengthen each up to 6 gauage. You will learn them over time by just looking at them.

Those type of gauges are hard for a HI to use…since the thing has to slide over the conductor itself, plus some others go around the insulation and since we know insulation can vary…just makes it complicated for the person struggling with the sizes.

I would simply get used to visually seeing these sizes by going to your local home depot or electrical supply house and simply looking at them…buy 6" pieces of each AWG size and get familiar with it.

Again many will buy short pieces of each common size…in CU get 2/0, 1/0, 2, 4, 6, 8,10, 12 14 and in AL get 4/0, 2/0, 1, 2, 4, 6 and make up a ring of the sizes and have it handy…in the truck lets say…just in case.

Thanks guys for your help. I was hoping to find something like a fiberglass whisker that could be laid right beside a wire for comparision without “lighting you up.”

I’ll stick to the Home Depot cut offs that I have for now.

Thanks again!

Yeah the problem with the plastic ones that lay against the wire is chances are you will have a difference in insulation from conductor to conductor and the gage can be off…nothing will ever take the place of simply getting used to seeing it…and being comfortable with it…it takes time.