Looking for ride alongs in TN

Hello I am a new member and this is my first post. I am on my final steps to becoming a licensed home inspector in Middle Tennessee. Just need to get my insurance lined up (getting quotes now). I have completed my class hours through AHIT and passed the NHIE. I am looking for any CPI’s or CMI’s that would be willing to give me some ride alongs. I would be willing to drive to east or west TN as I know a lot of people do not want to help the competition. Thanks.

3 Likes

Welcome Ryan! Congrats on your new endeavor and hope it works out for you. Bert Hull @bhull1 is a well respected HI in the Knoxville area. Maybe he can chime in and help lead you in the best direction.

2 Likes

Hi Ryan,
You are welcome to come inspect some houses with me in East TN.
Call/text 901-568-BERT or 865-466-0044
7 Internachi students who have mentored with me are now successful independent inspectors.

13 Likes

Thanks Thomas. Bert thank you for the response that sounds great I will give you a call this afternoon.

Nice job Bert!

1 Like

Good looking out Bert !!

2 Likes

Ryan, if Bert falls over dead (Just kidding Bert!), you can try this:

Contact some CMIs or CPIs within 40 to 50 miles, or closer, to your area and communicate with them. Maybe one, or more, will help you. Some inspectors feel as though they are training their competition by ride-alongs or mentoring or hiring.

Here is the link for CMIs: Find a Certified Master Inspector®

And the link for CPIs: Find Certified Home Inspectors Near You - InterNACHI®

And Mentors: Home Inspector Mentoring - InterNACHI® and https://www.nachi.org/my/mentoring

Also, you may want to take advantage of your Education Team at education@internachi.org for specific questions e.g. 15 Steps to Become a Successful Home Inspector - InterNACHI® and InterNACHI® Master Class for Home Inspectors .

And there is the Helpful How-To Videos - InterNACHI® for many other things.

3 Likes

Welcome to our forum, Ryan!…Enjoy, the water is warm, most of the time! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

2 Likes

Proby here. So far I have been on three ride alongs with Bert Hull @bhull1. He is an awesome mentor. I have learned so much, from reporting software, inspection routine, reviewing the final report together, to sharing findings with the client. Gaining a lot of priceless field knowledge. THANKS Bert. As Dave Ramsey would say, he has a heart of a teacher.

6 Likes

Here are some pictures of Ryan in action on and in the house today image0.jpegimage1.jpegimage2.jpegimage3.jpegimage4.jpegimage5.jpeg

9 Likes

Great job Bret !! Ryan will be a great inspector learning from you.

3 Likes

Great job, Bert. You’re the Best!

Helpful hints for New Inspectors.pdf (230.1 KB)
Here’s some tips you won’t get in school! Good luck!

Thanks Ned for the useful information.

Hot Pics from Wednesday’s ride along

Ryan has done enough ride-alongs now that “Ride-along” no longer fits the bill. He is a co-inspector. Ryan is going to be a super star.

Here are some pictures of Ryan and Ronnie from yesterday’s inspection on a large house. We all did the crawl space together but split up for some areas and discussed together afterwards over a nice meal on the lake. Great training day with some interesting defects found. Ronnie did his first ride-along with me last year and he and his wife are doing an amazing job now. They are both Super Stars and have been rapidly growing their new business in the Northeast Corner of TN.

7 Likes

Best wishes Ryan !!

1 Like

I see you have him rockin’ the Cougar Paws…Nice work and one of his best safety takeaways!

1 Like

Thanks for all of the encouragement and help on the forms. I have been on about 10 inspections with Bert now. He’s a great mentor having me take on more and more on each inspection. Even let me take a crack at flying a drone. I appreciate him sharing his experience and showing me all types of homes.

1 Like

Some fancy drone flying by Ryan yesterday around this 7960 sqft home while we put out Cougar Paws to their limit on a 12/12 pitch roof. This is the first of two homes we did yesterday (long training day).

View our video at this link:

1 Like

I dunno, maybe something to add to your tool bag :sunglasses:

3 Likes