Looks like it should have joist hangers to me, not entirely sure

This is a remodeled home I was inspecting today. Most of the framing is new and in the basement I noticed the floor joists sitting on top of a 2x6 at one end. If you look at the picture closely you can see there is a stud wall but this is a 2x6 butted up to the plate. The 2x4 plate does not appear to be holding any of this load. This home had permits pulled for everything but they never had final inspection yet. Thanks for any help with this guys. 20190809_161237 20190809_161241 20190809_161244

Structural framing should not depend on the shear strength of fasteners alone but should have direct bearing down the load path to the ground.

"Structural floor framing appears to have been installed by those not familiar with good building practice. The Inspector recommends that an evaluation and any necessary corrections be performed by a qualified contractor.

-InterNACHI Narrative Library

2 Likes

Thanks Mark. I didn’t want a final inspection done and they see this and wonder why I didn’t call it out. I just needed some verification from this board that I was seeing what I thought I was. Thanks for the reply.

See a few problems here. Should be a double 2x4 top plate. Joists should align with each stud. Only seeing 3 nails in each joist. I’m assuming they are 2x8? If so, should be 4 nails. If not I would check the span chart. Too much distance from the stud where the electrical is to the next.

1 Like

Three vertical studs are irrelevant, framing for drywall (etc) for the stairs. 2x6 nailed under those joists, serves no purpose.

“floor joist framing at stairs requires joist hangers”

1 Like

Yep Doug, you’re absolutely right. Not sure how this made it at all on inspection. They did toe nail from either side on the joist not sure if that counts or not but if this is like this I could only imagine whats behind the walls.

Thanks Joe, that’s what I’m going with on this. I just wanted some better experienced eyes on it. This forum is great!

In part, a double plate is used in case studs “do not” align with the joists. Doubling up provides sufficient structural support for this. IRC allows the use of single top plate given specific rules are followed. Look up IRC R602.3

1 Like

If that is indeed a bearing wall, then each joist needs to be directly (within an 1 1/2", over a stud, or a double top plate needs to be added.
The rim joist does not need hangers. Assuming it is not supporting the floor joists.

Ok, I appreciate the help guys. It’s wrong overall and I’m going with needs to be evaluated by a qualified general contractor. Thanks again for all the help.