Main beams in basement - is this ok?

There are two main beams in the basement that are being supported by three lolly columns. The ends of the beams are sitting on the foundation (which was cut too wide), however, they are rested on 7 metal “plates” (almost looks like cup coasters!) to acquire the correct height. Is this ok?

Do you have any pictures? That would definitely help, from your description it sounds alright but can’t really tell without pics.

Dave has a good point. It does sound okay but a pic or two would help.

Metal shims are fine (no comment on beam pocket)…depending on the type of LALLY column utilized may or may not be correct. Many of these columns uses were only designed as a temporal support.

Typically if lally column is screw type then its temporary…if it can be filled with concrete it can be permanent, always check manufacturers instructions including fastening requirements.

Jeff

The shims should be fine.
As for the Lally column post, a true Lally column is a steel column filled with concrete. Invented in the late 1800’s by John Lally to give a column more fire resistance. An adjustable column that is a single solid column is code compliant for permanent construction. A two piece column is for temporary construction only.

David
www.DeanColumn.com
Inventors of the Lally Lock System

Once again Dean I dissagree with your statement “A two piece column is for temporary construction only.”
I guess I am looking for some proof of your statement. For the last 25 years I have been installing teleposts as a permanent application and now your telling me the engineers that designed the load for them are all wrong??

R407.3 Structural requirements. The columns shall be restrained to prevent lateral displacement at the bottom end. Wood columns shall not be less in nominal size than 4 inches by 4 inches (120 mm by 102 mm) and steel columns shall not be less than 3-inch-diameter (76 mm) standard pipe or approved equivalent.

Two piece jack post’s are 2 1/4" in diameter.

David
www.DeanColumn.com
Inventors of the Lally Lock System

So that is how we came up with the odd spelling of column. I still don’t like spelling it this way. TBS I agree with Greg as I see this all the time in Home Inspection including my own home.

Now if you are looking at new homes you should not find the jack post two piece used for support in a permanent situation so you are partly correct Dean.

Tel-o-post makes these and even they indicated the two piece units are for TEMPORARY use.

http://www.generalsupplyinc.com/PDF_Catalog/setup.pdf

I have lots of pictures of new homes with these installed. They are perminent. No one can tell me different. It all depends on what the loads are.

There is a reason for that.

It’s different in Canada

The NBC (National Building Code) of Canada requires that adjustable steel columns conform to Article number CAN/CGSB-7.2-94 entitled “Adjustable Steel Columns,” which allows single-tube adjustable columns and telescopic adjustable columns, even at tube diameters of less than 3 inches (76 mm). Four Canadian manufactures of telescopic adjustable columns have submitted proof to the CCMC that they meet the article’s structural requirements. **In Canada, it is important to check that the column has a label to distinguish it from a temporary column. **

I believe telescoping posts can be used for permanent support (Canada only). Check out the
National Building Code of Canada, Article number CAN/CGSB-7.2-94 entitled “Adjustable Steel Columns” which allows single-tube adjustable columns and telescopic adjustable columns, even at tube diameters of less than 3 inches (76 mm). Four Canadian manufacturers of telescopic adjustable columns have submitted proof to the CCMC that they meet the article’s structural requirements. In Canada, it is important to check that the column has a label to distinguish it from a temporary column. A telescopic adjustable steel column sold for use in Canada. It’s a permanent structural column because it has a label that means it’s been independently evaluated and deemed appropriate for a particular load.

Fair enough, thanks fo clearing it up.

I have been building homes since 1978…I have never seen a telescoping column that is rated for permanent installation by the manufacturer.
If you find one then let me know because I will use it.

Manufacturers will always provide you the limitations for their product.

So are there any in use in the U.S. that are rated or considered an equal to a standard 3" column?

Cameron

No telescoping poles are permanent…they fall under 3" requirements as well as their respective manufacturers stating that they are temporary.

What one has to be careful of is calling them out when used simply as a means to reduce deflection. I come across this all the time and simply make note as to their conditional use.

I did have an engineer tell me that if a 3" steel column is used then the top and bottom must be properly secured and the screw post be welded in place.