TAPCO Adjustable Lally Column Question

Greetings O wise and grizzled vets of home inspections (kissing up for some expertise)

In reference to this linked discussion, I need some clarification.

We are in Blacksburg, VA., and just had a proactive home inspection in preparation for listing our home in a few months. I figured I’d rather know about any needs and address any issues before listing.

Our report included a need for another lally column in our unfinished basement. The TAPCO line of lally columns, sold at Lowes, are affordable and look to be easily installed.

The question becomes are they acceptable and considered permanent or are they not. The link above seems like the topic is debatable? These are NOT telescoping, they have 4" adjustment ranges. In our case we have a 7’2" need. TAPCO has a 7’ thru 7’4" lally product. If I use that, will it suffice as the needed permanent additional support for inspection purposes.

Thanks in advance for any/all expertise!

These state:

ADJUSTABLE POSTS FOR REMODELING AS WELL AS
NEW HOME CONSTRUCTION.

A steel-solid reputation.
Our Mono Posts have long been known for their ease of installation, compliance with the latest IBC and IRC Building Codes, and corrosion-resistant powder coating.
Designed to be a permanent building column, they’re constructed of durable steel for safety and stability and come fully assembled with no loose parts.

Larry:

thanks much!!! Can I assume that ‘compliance with the latest IBC and IRC Building codes’ means that our local inspectors will deem a TAPCO adjustable lally as suitable/permanent?

I was thinking the referenced link that I included may have dated back to when the TAPCO product was fairly new on the market, and given the quantity of various sizes that our local LOWES has in-stock…maybe (wishful thinking) they have become accepted as permanent since that 2007 dialogue on this site.

Again thanks! I’ll never pass up an opportunity to learn something.

You can use an adjustable column for permanent construction as long as it is a single solid column, not two pcs. The two piece columns are only for temporary construction. Adjustable columns have been around for many years. Your inspector will not have any issues with that column. Hope this helps.

David
www.DeanColumn.com
Inventors of the Lally Lock System

Do you have any references regarding these statements?

R407.3 Structural requirements. The columns shall be restrained to prevent lateral displacement at the bottom end. Wood columns shall not be less in nominal size than 4 inches by 4 inches (120 mm by 102 mm) and steel columns shall not be less than 3-inch-diameter (76 mm) standard pipe or approved equivalent.

2 pc columns are only 2 1/4" in diameter.

David
www.DeanColumn.com
Inventors of the Lally Lock System

We use two piece ajustable columns all the time here. It is all about the enginners specified loads as to what you use. Teleposts are widely used and Your claim of being one piece is wrong.
I have also noticed that no one mentioned it should not be installed on just the concrete floor but on a proper footing specified by the engineers load analisis.

Greg writes:

I agree. I know of no code that requires them to be “one piece.”

Code aside, the manufactures instructions rule.

Steel support columns are required to be at least 3" in diameter.

The inside section of a two piece is usually less than 3".

R407.3 Structural requirements. The columns shall be restrained to prevent lateral displacement at the bottom end. Wood columns shall not be less in nominal size than 4 inches by 4 inches (120 mm by 102 mm) and steel columns shall not be less than 3-inch-diameter (76 mm) standard pipe or approved equivalent.

2 pc adjustables are 2 1/4"

David
www.DeanColumn.om
The inventors of the Lally Lock System

I sincerely appreciate all of you easing my mind on this topic!