Main wood beam shims

If you saw this in a 3 yr. old condo, would you comment on it? If so, how & why?

Thanks in advance.

Bump.

I certainly would, improper beam support. :slight_smile:

I’d call it out as a concern. Approved/inspected by the AHJ, and may have been acceptable to the design professional. Doesnt mean its right, it just means it was inspected and approved.

This is why we call it out as a concern…

That is most definitely an issue in my book.

Improperly supported carrying beam…

Someone may have approved it initially, but I wonder what they would think of it now, since the lower shim appears to have crushed, allowing the right-hand beam to settle. I also wonder whether the right-hand beam had sufficient bearing area to begin with, and if not, that may also be responsible for the settlement.

I am not an inspector, as you can read above, but if I were, I would certainly suggest that it be evaluated by somebody under whose area of expertise this condition falls. It may have been “right” when it was built, but it ain’t right no more.

On second thought, what may have happened is not settlement of the right-hand beam, but inadvertent jacking up by a fraction of an inch of the left-hand beam, when the lower piece of shim (perhaps tapered intentionally) was driven into place.

Thanks for the replies, fellas. BTW- this was the same across the entire span, about 4 or 5 columns that looked about the same as this one.

You have a couple problems here…

1. The microlams splices are not centered over the pier.
  2. The PT (pressure treated) lumber is not large enough to give proper support / transfer to the pier.
  3. The PT blocking is split
  4. Improper fastening of the microlams is obvious.

I would like to see pictures of the pier and footing for more evaluation.

Jeff

Don’t know about other areas of the country, but in this seismic area columns and beams must be positively attached, and that doesn’t mean toe nailing.

I started out with a NO answer, but then your pic 2 & 3 raised some concern. The shims are showing signs of crushing, and in pic 3 you can see the beam on the right isn’t supported very well and is settling. My comments would at least not that. I would also check out what is happening at the foundation where these beams attach. There seems to be some settling.

I started out with a NO answer, but then your pic 2 & 3 raised some concern. The shims are showing signs of crushing, and in pic 3 you can see the beam on the right isn’t supported very well and is settling. My comments would at least not that. I would also check out what is happening at the foundation where these beams attach. There seems to be some settling.

Quick fix for now.
He’ll get back to it on Monday.
Monday of which month/year he didn’t say.

One new construction flaw, so I wonder what the other 14 looked like?

T.Neyedli CHI
www.aphahomeinspections.ca
ASTTBC/BCIPI
BPCPA # 47827