Question about beams.

Doing phase construction inspections on a new house (for the builder, who is unexperienced (go figure)).

They have the beams in. Look at the post in picture 1, right in the center (not plumb), but especially, look at the mating of the beam from the right (picture 2). Is this mating OK? The beam from the right is not supported from below.

BTW: The backfill guy broke or bent about 1/2 the sill plate bolts (Picture 3).

Comments? How would you write this up?

DSCF6467 small.JPG

DSCF6470 small.JPG

DSCF6468 small.JPG

Sorry Will, I don’t see anything wrong.

Looks like a regular engineered system.

The unsuported beam connection is no different than bridge beams that I have seen and most of the time that same connection will be three to five feet away from the support column depending on load above.

Marcel :slight_smile: :smiley:

Looks like a pretty standard connection to me as well. They’ll plumb these up when they start dropping floor joists.

The damaged bolts would require an engineered repair in my area.

Hey, Jeff;

Where do you see the damaged bolts?
Must have missed that unless it is the third picture that I could not define.

Marcel :slight_smile: :smiley:

Thanks, guys. I don’t know why the didn’t use the same size (height) girder all the way across and why they didn’t support it on the post.

Thanks again.

Will, when it comes to steel beams, it is all about span and loading, and unnecessary beam size costs money, so it usually is sized to the loading of the span and connections make the transition.

By the way, I blew up the picture and noticed there is no bearing plates and anchorbolts on the steel columns.
I would be curious as to how they set them the right height.

Typically, you would see a baseplate on 3/4" of grout or leveling nuts to set the columns.

Any idea.?

Marcel :slight_smile: :smiley:

It looks like a couple of bent bolts in the top of the wall - third picture.

Sill plate bolts. The back filler guy broke off or bent about 1/3 of them.

Bad handeling of the Bobcat.

That’s bad. Luckily, Simpson manufactures a strap that can replace those damaged anchor bolts. . . :wink:

How is that strap anchored to the foundation?

Bent bolts are common and usually not a problem, but bent to this this extreme, once it’s been straightened it’ll be weaker than original specs. Pass on the liability.

They can be bolted to the side of the wall. . .

I douby they would go to this extreme, chances are they would drill and use quick bolts or wedge bolts and probably not be galvanized nor stainless because of the PT. contact.

:slight_smile: :smiley:

That’s exactly what they use Marcel. Used to replace damaged or missing bolts, and for seismic upgrades to old, unbolted foundations.

actually the J bolts need to be replaced, only because the bolts are bent to close to the 2 corners meeting together. If the bolts were more further away from the corners, they can just use a nail gun to sink in support, as we did for inner walls. Also depends on what state requirements are for Earthquack anchors for the corners. I’ll need to check my IRC or IBC, and get back with you guys, on what it will call for.

I know Southern Calif has to have Earthquack anchors on both sides of the corners, on all 4 corners of the home. My family uses them on every jobsite, for homes and apartments.

Marcel I have seen similar ones of those anchors, on commercial jobs but not residential. “Not Yet”

Freudian slip?

Hi. Aram;

Damaged J-bolts as you call them come in a variety of sizes and get damaged everyday by people that don’t pay attention to what they are doing on most Construction Projects.

There are alternatives to the fancy post I put above which is something Jeff Pope would normally see in his area.

Most geographic areas are different and you should check with local AHJ’s.

Up here in Maine, damaged anchor bolts, can be replaced by 1/2" quick bolts, or wedge bolts of galvanized or stainless, epoxy anchors, or luck out and straighten the bent bolts and hope they don’t break. ha. ha.

The IRC requires 1/2" x 7" anchor bolts. In some areas it also calls for 3" washers and to be galvanized for PT protection.

Hope this helps.

Marcel :slight_smile: :smiley: