Maintenance Inspections?

Originally Posted By: ssmith3
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Is anyone offering these? If so, what are you inspecting and how much of a price difference is there from your regular inspection?

Scott Smith

Marinspection

Vice President NorCal NACHI Chapter

I graduated from collage. Now my life is all mixed up.

Originally Posted By: jpope

Yup. Standard inspection with standard pricing. It’s a tough nut to crack, but I’ve mailed out postcards specifically for that purpose.

Less than 1% response ![icon_confused.gif](upload://qv5zppiN69qCk2Y6JzaFYhrff8S.gif) and even less booked.

I have a better response with warranty inspections. 1% to 3% response with most turning into bookings.

--
Jeff Pope
JPI Home Inspection Service
"At JPI, we'll help you look better"
(661) 212-0738

Originally Posted By: loconnor

What do you consider a maintenance inspection?

as opposed to a standard home inspection?

Also, for Warrenty inspections, are you referring to new home inspection during their first year?

--
Larry
Western Michigan NACHI Chapter
http://www.w-michigan-nachi.org

"We confide in our strength
without boasting of it.
We respect that of others
without fearing it"
Thomas Jefferson

Originally Posted By: jpope

loconnor wrote:
What do you consider a maintenance inspection?
as opposed to a standard home inspection?

The process and reporting of a maintenance inspection (in my book) is no different than a standard inspection. This gives the homeowner an idea of what systems of the home may be in need of repair before they lead to a major problem.

loconnor wrote:
Also, for Warrenty inspections, are you referring to new home inspection during their first year?

Yes. I ocassionally buy lists of new home sales from a title agency and send out a postcard (ideally) at the 10 month mark.

--
Jeff Pope
JPI Home Inspection Service
"At JPI, we'll help you look better"
(661) 212-0738

Originally Posted By: ddivito

I offer Home Maintenance Consultations. I walk the client through the house pointing out items that require checking on or maintaining, They follow with a notepad, record anything they want to and I answer their questions as to how to change filters or how to check a GFCI, etc. I walk them around the exterior and we discuss gutter/downspout maintenence, landscape trees crossing service wires, etc. There is no contract or written report. The only tool I carry is my flashlight.

It is great for first time homeowners, who do not have a clue.

I charge $150.00 plus $50/hr over two hours. People are very appreciative.

1 Like

Originally Posted By: mtimpani

does this meet NACHIS standards? or your states standards?

Originally Posted By: ddivito

This is not an inspection. It is an educational experience for the client about home maintenance. There are no standards or contract for this, it is a consultation.

Originally Posted By: dharris

mtimpani wrote:
does this meet NACHIS standards? or your states standards?

Mark
From my interpretation of az inspection requirements, If we offer to provide a written / professional opinion of a customers property for a fee, we ARE required to meet state standards.
It sounds like a good market, but Over the past 4yrs I only had a request 4 or 5 times for this type of inspection
For a new inspector doing these it is a opportunity to get some insp under your belt along with another opportunity to build a customer base and develop a routine when doing other inspections, but I would not spend a lot of $$$s marketing to home owners ,
4 years ago I sent 5,000 flyers at the cost of $2500 to home owners is 3 different markets, I got 1 call and no inspections

PS: I don't know nachis requirments on this, BUT if a customer files a complaint you most likley will be required to meet state requirments

Originally Posted By: tallen

Dan wrote:

Quote:
4 years ago I sent 5,000 flyers at the cost of $2500 to home owners is 3 different markets, I got 1 call and no inspections

OUCH!!

Originally Posted By: mtimpani

Thank you for explaing this.

Thank you, MarkTimpani

www.pridepropertyinspections.com

mtimpani wrote:
Thank you for explaing this.

No problem
As a member of the enforcement and advisement committee I would rather just do my inspections and not have to address any problems that can arise from not knowing the state requirments

Not to mention I suspect if another nachi member gets in trouble here Nick my feel the necessity to come here, or a heart attack the next time.
I suspect it could be a little interesting with me and nick on the opposite side of the table, if he's here defending a member

Personally the only time I want to see nick here is with a open check book for massive state wide advertising or CE courses

CE courses? NACHI? In AZ? icon_eek.gif

Dan:

Did you get the new phone book yet?

ashi has spent some bucks on the local members! Big add w/ all the local ashi members listed.

That's fine I am still working, and I get around 20% of my jobs from the internet ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif) Less than 2% from the phone book.

I speak hou&e

Todd

I don’t think that was ashi, I believe the guys got together and advertized on there own

Well, that was a heck of a good idea!!

Originally Posted By: Scotty Lee

tallen wrote:
Well, that was a heck of a good idea!!

ASHI national has a program with the phone book publishers. The publisher coordinates and sets up the ad with all of the ASHI members in the area, reduces the cost and looks impressive. Cost about the same as a normal line ad.

If you are getting a 2% response from the phone book you are on the lower end of the average. Most service advertisers receive 5% to 8% from the phone book, some higher and some lower.

2% booked. I really don’t know the total call% from the phone book.