Originally Posted By: dvalley
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.
I?ll bet that that fireplace is a vent-free fireplace. Those energy efficient fireplaces keep all of the heat inside the firebox area since they do not require a chimney, but they pump vast quantities of water vapor into your home as they burn. Water is a by-product of the combustion of Natural or LPG gas.
For every 100,000 btu’s of gas burned, approximately 1.5 gallons of water is created and is added to the air inside your home. As the outside air temperature rises, so does the surface temperature of the glass. So when the fireplace is started, the hot temperature inside the firebox starts to warm up and condensate on the cool glass.
Don't consider this to be a problem or safety issue!!(upload://iyQuzqKSf3T6heb2mClDij7XQpO.gif)
Massachusetts Certified Home Inspections
"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go."