Marc Goldberg ..What is this WDO?

Marc what are they.
PPB? Big holes for them from my experience , but I’m no expert.
There was a few larva in the holes. The holes were approx. 1/8 ".
They are on the exterior cypress trim boards.
Thanks Brother… I owe you one.

Carpenter Bees?

Those are really large around here .
Like bumbles bees.
That was my first thought, but I will admit I don’t know all the WDO’s here in my section of the Redneck north Florida.
You maybe correct.

That was my first thought.

that’s what it looks like

I was thinking the same thing but do not know if they are around Florida. My only experience with them are as pollinators used in Canada. A farmer I knew had a shed full of hives.

Looksee what I found :

http://entnemdept.ufl.edu/creatures/misc/bees/xylocopa.htm

I think we are all correct…MAYBE

See attached

Carpenter bees make holes about 1/2" in dia. and about 6" long

exit holes.gif

Old house borers

Marc must be out fishin’ :lol:

http://www.inspectoroutlet.com/wdo-guide-pdf.aspx

Carpenter bees Roy. We’re in active season for them now.
Notice the “dust” in the holes they leave. It’s pollen for the larvae.
They do not use wood/cellulose material for nutrition, only for nesting.
It’s pretty cool if you catch 'em making the holes which are almost perfectly round, they then take a 90 degree turn after around an inch deep to make their cell.
ps>> They are all girls that do this! ha ha

Per Florida Pest Control Act, they are not a wood-destroying organism down here.
Reason behind that is a WDO is defined as arthropod/plant life that can damage & reinfest wood in a structure. These guys do not reinfest. :slight_smile:
It’s been around 20 years since they took it off the list, used to be on the WDO Report but they changed it.
I don’t agree with it.

Ordered… thank you.

Marc, the holes are only 1/8". Carpenter bees don’t sound right.

Brad the holes are larger than 1/8". I know Roy stated that but they’re much larger in the pic. Looks like bees to me & that’s 35 years as a licensed PC operator. Also the “golden dust” aka pollen fits perfectly. Damn I feel old now!

You said old house borers. They have very large oval type holes, not almost perfectly round ones.
They’re called OHB for a reason, the life cycle can be up to 10 years, thus there is no recognizable damage for a very long time. It takes generations for decent damage.
Down here usually found in trusses in attics.

Thanks for all the replies.
The holes were a little bit larger than a BB. Lets say a BB and a half maybe a little less.
Do we have small carpenter bees here in N. Fla?

Good stuff Marc, thanks!

They can be as little as only 1/2" long.
Break that wood open & send me the larvae for ID.
Then I’ll fry 'em up excellent protein!

They’re babies, or maybe they are like the dog sized deer down there. We grow everything big in WV!! :smiley:

Come 'on down to Big Pine Key (Florida Keys) to see the Key Deer!