Marketing Advice

I am a new inspector in the Rochester NY area and I am begining to look at marketing stragaties. Anyone have any suggestions?..

Thanks!!

David Irwin
Presision Home & Property Inspections LLC

1 Like

www.nachi.org/success.htm read every word, and open every link…twice.

Marketing tips, tricks, ideas, and suggestions.

Free to everyone, but you do have to register and it is a moderated site.

David -

In business development, there are lots of keys, most all under the heading of organization and marketing.

Here is what you market:

1. Yourself - consistent contact with clients - agents, brokers, loan officers - personal contact, monthly emails like newsletters, ads dropped off into agent’s mailboxes, mailings. The key word is consistent. Personal grooming and how you dress should NOT be underrated. How you speak generally and with clients is certainly NOT to be underrated. If your vocabulary lacks, work on it. If you use the words “like” or “um” or “you know” or “I mean” a lot, alter your phraseology.
  2. Your company - diversify your services. Make it known to your client agents or brokers everything you do and demonstrate that you do them well. Home inspections offers a wide array of service possibilities.
  3. Your abilities - if you aren’t learning and growing, you aren’t learning and growing, and constantly falling behind those who are. This should be obvious. One of my favorite quotes, hanging in my office, is from Michelangelo, written when he was 87 (he died at 93), “I am still learning.” If you aren’t familiar with his bio you should be. And HE wanted to grow more. The home inspection business is a GREAT way to develop abilities. A general education is important too. Education is useless if not shared. If you don’t know how to do something, find someone who is good at it, learn from them, and then work at it until you are good at it too.
  4. Your product and presentation - my opinion is that only about 30% of the home inspection business is construction knowledge. Another 30% would be your ability to communicate, educate and inform your clients during an inspection. If you don’t do that well, believe me, the agents will notice and it will get around their office tomorrow. Another 30% would be the quality of your reporting - easy to understand yet comprehensive, complete yet not overwhelming - very, very important not only to the client but to YOU. The last 10% would be people skills, which are hard to teach.
  5. Anything else that sets you aside from the pack. A slight edge is everything. About 30 years ago a golfer named Jack Nicklaus was only 1/2 of 1 stroke better, in the long run, than #24 on the tour. Number 24 was a left-hander named Bob Charles. Have you heard of Jack Nicklaus? Have you ever before heard of Bob Charles? The slight edge principle works in any business. ANYTHING slightly different about you can work to your favor and impress. Try to find it and take advantage of it.

If you don’t think marketing is important, there are 20 mountains in North America higher than Pike’s Peak. How many can you name?

As to organization, there are as many kinds of organizations as there are people. You have to organize in a way that complements you and who you are.

There are likely many, many other things you can market. Those jump off the top of my head.

This is a good business for those who work at it. Welcome aboard! Dive in - the water is warm…!