Marketing Materials

Originally Posted By: dsunday
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

I would like to hear from a few members regarding the types of promotional material they are currently using in their market. I am especially interested in brochure ideas.

Best Regards to all,
DJ Sunday
Home Inspection Systems
Brewster, NY 10509

Originally Posted By: jremas

deleted

Jeff,

Take a look at a web site by Bob Mulloy of All-Safe Home Inspections in Mass. He addresses the Real Estate conundrum in an article at the following web address:

http://site116.ehostingbiz.net/rmulloy/BROKERS.htm

Best Regards,

DJ Sunday

Originally Posted By: jfarsetta

DJ,

A cute article to say the least. I say to let common sense be your guide. If the agent is a Chattie Cathy, you can ignore them. If they want to chat with the buyer while you're doing the inspection, it gets them out of your hair. The part of the article I would caution you about is how you "set the tone"> be careful. Despite what anyone tells you, there is no magic way to get your card or brochure into the hands of the prospective buyer. 95% of the time it will come from the agent. Be sensitive to that fact. Yes, you are in charge. Don't bash them over the head with it, though. Deal with the client. Ask the client, prior to the inspection taking place, it they want you talking about what you find either during or after the inspection. Let them decide. They'll catch your drift quickly. Do it in front of the realtor. He or she will get the message, without offending them in the process.

You'll find your orn way...

JF

Originally Posted By: jmyers

Just a little more of my humble advise. The web site was pretty cute. I must admit this guy has absolutely no tact what so ever.

You will certainly kill yourself before you ever make it off your feet if you do as he states. You can be firm, polite and courteous while holding your ground. You are just there to tell them the facts, nothing more. Let them decide where they want to go.

Sometimes we are quick to judge agents because we feel they are just trying to push the deal through so they get paid. I can absolutely state with 100% certainty this just is not always true. My wife is an agent and several clients want the million dollar house on the hill when all the can afford is the mobile home in the park. Agents are more aware of the financial position of the buyer and really are trying to help get them into a nice home they can afford. Maybe its not the one they wanted but the one they wanted they could not afford.

Joe Myers

Thanks guys, but to get back to my original question. What is everybody using for marketing materials, brochures etc.?

I am finding all kinds of interesting "Home Inspection and Real Estate" web sites. I have even found a guy in California who sells RE and does home inspections! Very talented. ![icon_smile.gif](upload://b6iczyK1ETUUqRUc4PAkX83GF2O.gif)

DJ,

Do you have Microsoft Publisher? If so, I can e-mail you a copy of my current brochure.

Joe F

Joe,

Yes I do have MS Publisher. I probably have enough software to manipulate just about any file I get my hands on. That would be appreciated.

Regards,
DJ Sunday
djsunday@bestweb.net

Originally Posted By: gbell

Hi Joe

I would like to see what you have. I also have publisher if you would be so kind as to forward a copy to me.

Thanks

--
Greg Bell
Bell Inspection Service

As far as marketing I burn a cd of a sample report and the things that make my services different than the other guys. It cost about 20 cents for each. I then distribute them to all of the realtors in my area. So far the response has been good. It is a great way to show off your work.

Greg Bell

Bell Inspection Service

Originally Posted By: rkuntz

Greg

What file format do you use on the CD (Adobe, MS-Word)? I am in the process of putting together a CD and looking for any helpful tips.

Thanks

Ron K

I use word. But I have found it best to use an old version so that anyone can open it. When I used xp several people were unable to open it.

Greg Bell

Bell Inspection Service

I convert my MS Word files to a pdf file so everyone can open it as long as they dowload the free Adobe Acrobat Reader. It is very popular these days. This was, they are sort of more protected.

that works well I just don’t have the program to do so. With my report software I can password protect each report. I will have to look into that software.

Greg Bell

Bell Inspection Service

Greg,

Jeff is correct, in that once it's converted to PDF format, it becomes a read-only doc.

Joe F

Joe,

Thanks for sending the brochure, however, I DON’T have MS Publisher, I have HOME PUBLISHING, Duh!

On the subject of ADOBE PDF file. If they're converted to pdf with Acrobat, you can set security to allow the user to edit, print, copy etc. as you wish.

I just got my CDRW drive up and running this morning. My plan originally was to record presentations and mail to Real Estate agents. I had a heck of a time getting CDRW to work. Had Yamaha Unit that I recorded 1 track before Windows XP crashed. Went to Staples this morning and purchased Memorex unit 52x24x52, with NERO software - everything looks good!

What are some of the things you guys are putting on CD besides sample reports? How are you making sure RE Agents will be able to open and see presentation?

If anyone is interested, go to http://www.gobcl.com and sign up for free conversion of doc, ppt and other files to pdf. You just email them the file and it gets emailed back automatically within a minute or two. Free service instead of purchasing a program. I only wish I could convert pub files from MS Publisher, that would be great but not available yet. Good luck and have a Happy Holiday.

Originally Posted By: ecrofutt

Thanks a lot for the link to goBCL for converting files to PDF. That’ll be real useful to me as I don’t do it frequently enough to justify paying for the program.

Originally Posted By: rkuntz

Greg

I have some questions about the CD you distribute to RE agents. I am in the process of putting together my own CD and would appriciate your input.

1. How do you distribute them? Do you put together one for each agent in the area and hand deliever them to the office or do you just hand them out in person as you meet a new agent?
2. Do you do anything to encourage them to look at it? It seems to me agents must get alot of marketing materials daily. Is there any tricks to get them to take the time to look at it?
3. Do you give them anything else with the CD (ie cover letter, instruction letter etc.)?

Thanks for you help!!

Ron

Hi Ron,

I go to each office and tell who ever is working the desk that I have some marketing materials that I would like to put in each agents box. Most times I put it in the box or they say that they will. I ask how many agents they have and leave that number with them.

I attach a cover letter that introduces me and what is on the cd with instructions on how to open it.
The cd has a sample report and a book I wrote called the Florida Home which explains how a home is constructed during each phase. It has a lot of diagrams for each section. I have found it to be of great use while trying to explain something to a client. They understand it much better when they can look at a picture.

In my area I am the only one at this time that is marketing in this manner. I am sure there are some agents who don?t look at it. But I do believe that most do just because it is on the cutting edge of technology.

Now I am working on one where I can make a video and put it on the cd to market my services and company.

Hope this helps. If you need more info just ask.

--
Greg Bell
Bell Inspection Service