Marketing to the Client

Originally Posted By: wcampbell
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

How about some ideas on how to market directly to the client? I don’t want to get into a debate about agent pros and cons. I just feel that there should be a way to get the clients to call without having to market to agents. icon_rolleyes.gif

This Ole House-Home Inspections

William A. Campbell TREC # 6372

Serving the Texas Coastal Bend

(361) 727-0602 (home)

(361) 727-0055 (office)

(361) 229-4103 (cell)

Wow, 16 views and no comments. Guess everyone here relies on agents.

(361) 727-0602 (home)

(361) 727-0055 (office)

(361) 229-4103 (cell)

Originally Posted By: mroach

William you need to build a good web page. I get quit a few from people surfing the web. Beyond that You need to ask for referrals from your clients. Make some follow up calls to see how you did. And if they like you then ask them to pass your name along.

That’s all I can think of for now. Oh yah don’t try to put door hangers on homes for sale. I took this advece from a teacher and after hanging 1,000 with zero calls. I got the hint that it doesn’t work.

Mark

--
Mark Roach
A Professional Home Inspection
TREC# 6467
http://www.aprofessionalhomeinspection.com
"Your Best Protection is a Professional Home Inspection"
Klien Volunteer Fireman

Thanks Mark.

I don't get it. 49 views and only one responce.

Either nobody makets to clients or this org isn't really all about helping each other. ![icon_rolleyes.gif](upload://iqxt7ABYC2TEBomNkCmZARIrQr6.gif)

--
(361) 727-0602 (home)
(361) 727-0055 (office)
(361) 229-4103 (cell)

Sorry, it was brought to my attention that I directed my post to Nick personally. I am asking for information from all. icon_redface.gif

(361) 727-0602 (home)

(361) 727-0055 (office)

(361) 229-4103 (cell)

Originally Posted By: cradan

inspection," before it’s TOO LATE. The theory being that if John or Jane homeowner has discovered a few…er…problems, they’ll DEFINITELY want YOU to get with them for a full home inspection before their builder’s rep comes around at the 10-month mark, and they’ve got pretty much their last real chance for defects to be repaired/improved/replaced or upgraded at the BUILDER’s cost.

If the AHJ will not share the C.O.'s with you after your initial polite request, SLAP 'EM DOWN HARD with ye ol' FREEDOM OF INFORMATION ACT form, and sooner or later, they'll cave. That's my idea for reaching the "end-user" directly. If they bite, you inspect, generate your report, and include a summarized "punchlist," recommendations for improvements, cost-saving ideas, maintenance tips, family/child/senior/environmental safety information, etc.

Best regards,

--
Chris
http://www.inspect4me.com
Chicago Illinois Home Inspections

Originally Posted By: mroach

William you might want to post this in the Misc. Discussion or Members only section. I hardly come down to this section. So that might be why you haven’t gotten to the right people yet.

Just a thought.
Mark

--
Mark Roach
A Professional Home Inspection
TREC# 6467
http://www.aprofessionalhomeinspection.com
"Your Best Protection is a Professional Home Inspection"
Klien Volunteer Fireman

Originally Posted By: jpope

Quote:
Either nobody makets to clients or this org isn't really all about helping each other.

This was uncalled for. I read your post yesterday. This was my first opportunity to respond. Are you looking for replies from those who are sitting at home reading the board? Or do you want replies from inspectors who are working?

--
Jeff Pope
JPI Home Inspection Service
"At JPI, we'll help you look better"
(661) 212-0738

Sorry if that statement offended you Jeff. My point was that at that time there were 49 views on the thread and only 2 replies.

Now there are 129 views and 3 people replied. Whats up with that?

I did however, get some very good PMs and e-mails. One from an ASHI member. And to all, I say thanks.

--
(361) 727-0602 (home)
(361) 727-0055 (office)
(361) 229-4103 (cell)

Originally Posted By: rwills

William,

I agree with Mark on the website issue. I get most of my work from there, some from word of mouth and referrals from past clients and some from agents I meet through clients that like my inspections. Other than that, I don’t know how else you would market them because you never know when someone is planning on buying a home.

Bob Wills - MAB Chairman

BW Inspection Services

Warminster, Pa.

http://www.bwinspections.com

Originally Posted By: lmartin

Hi William ,

Well we all have our own little ways to promote Business, for me I talk to people, share with them what I do, once I drove by a house ,stopped looked at it just shaking my head , no way this would have passed an inspection . I noticed a For sale by owner sign out , went up spoke to owner , introduced my self and said you know Sir ! perhaps if you did a little repair here and there . you might sell the house quicker. So I got to do an inspection and the owner thanked me and as soon he had done repairs , sold the house.

another thing I have done …lol , Left my van at Home Depot for the day where everyone could see it with my magnetic sign on it . you know I got a call from that .

Another Maine Idea !
Les ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif)

wcampbell wrote:
Sorry if that statement offended you Jeff. My point was that at that time there were 49 views on the thread and only 2 replies.
Now there are 129 views and 3 people replied. Whats up with that?

Your original post (directed to Nick) had been posted for less than an hour and a half when you made your next post.

Less than three hours after your original post you received from Mark (what I believe to be) the most sound and precise advice available to your question. An hour later, you dismissed this advice and chose to bash NACHI.

Furthermore, this question could have had a much greater potential if it were addressed in a more appropriate section such as the "misc." section (as was also suggested).

So yes, I am offended by the fact that you felt "compelled" to condemn this organization based on watching the message board in a low traffic thread for four hours even after your question was answered perfectly.

You've been on this board for at least as long as I have. You know how it works. What is your motive for trying to "stir the pot?"

--
Jeff Pope
(661) 212-0738

Originally Posted By: dvalley

Jeff,

I think William was banging the lid (trying to get everyones attention), not stirring the pot. ![](upload://76W5ki8PdQbWSfITkgj2VftQLbi.gif)

William,

Why are you against marketing to Agents? In my opinion, Agents are the only way to go, if you want recognition.

--
David Valley
MAB Member

Massachusetts Certified Home Inspections
http://www.masscertified.com

"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go."

Originally Posted By: dbowers

(each of these realtors will stand on their heads to keep me out of any NORMAL transaction they are involved in). So the whole point of this post is:

The buyers wants and needs are often 90% away from the Realtors wants and needs. Who do we work for? If most realestators are highly ethical and put the wants and needs of their clients first - How can our clients the BUYERS think we're the best thing since buttered popcorn, and yet the realestators in the same transaction hate our guts and want to crucify us?????

Once you solve that you too can be a BIG BOY Home Inspector!! Ten years ago, I took almost a preverse pride in the fact that although realestators would try to keep us out of their deals, we were the ONLY one they'd call if their own kids were the BUYERs. Today I don't give a Big Rats A$$ about the PRIDE - I want the income from the other 25 deals they sent to the "Whitewash Guy".

Dan Bowers, CRI

P.S. This is why many VETERAN home inspectors have gotten BURNED OUT on marketing to "Used House Commissioned Sales People".

Jeff, you’re too quick to get offended.

Yes David, I felt I was banging the lid, trying to get the attention of my fellow NACHI members and fellow Home Inspectors.

As far as to why I don't want to market to agents: I think that Dan pretty well spelled it out.

When I was in the remodeling/repair business, I was told too many times, "Cover it up", "Don't tell me what you saw and I won't know about it", "Fix it the cheapest way possible".

Since becoming a Home Inspector, I have been told "Don't scare 'em Willie", "Go easy on this one", "You don't have the right to say that", and many other lines.

I have also been told how much to charge for my services and when I will get paid.

Gee, Duh, I don't know, Now why wouldn't I want to market to some of the worlds most profound "professionals". ?

--
(361) 727-0602 (home)
(361) 727-0055 (office)
(361) 229-4103 (cell)

Originally Posted By: dvalley

Quote:
Since becoming a Home Inspector, I have been told "Don't scare 'em Willie", "Go easy on this one", "You don't have the right to say that", and many other lines.
I have also been told how much to charge for my services and when I will get paid.

You're letting the Agents control you like a puppet. They must think that they have you "wrapped". If an Agent talked to me that way, I?d completely ignore the statement and continue doing my Inspection. No Agent is going to tell me how to run the show. As far as the Inspection charges, my fees aren?t based on the price my client and I had discussed, not on what they are requesting to charge and I will get paid at the time of the Inspection (not later) and that?s that.

Nobody?s saying ?kiss the Realtors a$$?, in order to get business. I?m saying that marketing to Agents is one of the best ways to get your company recognized in your area. Marketing would consist of dropping off brochures, meeting with them 1 on 1, attending their Realtor meetings in order to give your presentations, and just getting your brochures in their faces (and their clients), in any way you can.
No smooching required![](upload://2NWPQ7kowjOasfikxC9qwexwQpr.gif)

Yes, some will consider you to be a deal killer and others will praise your skills. Who cares, just continue marketing to the only people that have that hand that feeds the mouth. If you refuse to rely on Realtors as your marketing source, then good luck when it comes time to search for home buyers. Maybe you can just hang out in front of the Realty office, bank or even the house that's up For Sale.

--
David Valley
MAB Member

Massachusetts Certified Home Inspections
http://www.masscertified.com

"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go."

For what it is worth, I haven’t had a referal from an agent since Nov. Yes I have tried to get in with them. I was a member of the local real estate board.

I dropped off my cards. The local board has a group e-mail list for all members. I sent out the e-mail about the NACHI mouse pads 2 times. I was sent an e-mail by the lady in charge saying not to do it again because it was considered SPAM.

After waiting for payment on a property for 2 1/2 months, (8 plex-apartment $1400) , I told the agent that I would no longer accept payment at closing. I was told that I would no longer get any referals because that's the way we do it around here.

So, you tell me, who's kissing up?

--
(361) 727-0602 (home)
(361) 727-0055 (office)
(361) 229-4103 (cell)

Quote:
The local board has a group e-mail list for all members. I sent out the e-mail about the NACHI mouse pads 2 times. I was sent an e-mail by the lady in charge saying not to do it again because it was considered SPAM.

Did you ask the "lady in charge" what was allowed to be emailed? Or did you tuck tail and hide? If you've paid your membership dues, you have the same rights to use the email list as the rest of the local board.

Realtors (at least in my area) are a tight niched group. You can't expect them to just welcome you into their "playground." It's about building relationships and at the same time, setting boundaries.

--
Jeff Pope
(661) 212-0738

Yes I asked her if I could send it out.

I sent out one about the maouse-pads and the I sent out one about "what really matters" Since they are both on NACIHI pages they concidered it SPAM.

But it was OK for agents to send out their Important listings.

As far as waiting for payment in ANY dollar amount, I can't can't afford to sit around and wait for what I have worked for.

--
(361) 727-0602 (home)
(361) 727-0055 (office)
(361) 229-4103 (cell)

Quote:
As far as waiting for payment in ANY dollar amount, I can't can't afford to sit around and wait for what I have worked for.

I understand that waiting may be a pain. But wouldn't that make more sense than not having any money coming in at all? The more difficult you are to work with, the less likely you will work at all.

--
Jeff Pope
(661) 212-0738