Marketing Materials

Originally Posted By: dsunday
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Dear Greg,

Your tips are very helpful. I have just finished a draft presentation I put together using MS Powerpoint. I burned it to CD. Had to use a Powerpoint viewer attachment and an autorun file. Seems to work pretty well. Now I’m going to add more material, and probably use some of your suggestions to contact and have RE agents take a look.

Regards,
DJ Sunday

Originally Posted By: ecrofutt

Sounds like some neat ideas.

Be aware of one thing. A LOT! of people won't open Word Docs because of the known problems with viruses carried in them.

Few people are reluctant to open PDF files because of no known virus problems in doing so.

Thanks for sharing ideas.

Erby

Originally Posted By: jremas

I just had some notepads printed up with my information on them. They are 1/2 sheet size and on the Right side , is a calendar for the year 2003. So far they are a hit at the real estate offices. Everyone is always looking for something to write on & I was told by the printer that they work better than getting calendars printed up or anything else. Since my cousin owns a print shop I get great deals.

Originally Posted By: jfarsetta

Jeff,

Great idea! What did they run you?

Joe F

$89 per case X 2 cases. I had the notepads set at 45 sheets each which gave me a total of about 450 pads.

Originally Posted By: Nick Gromicko

Jeff/Chris:

This photo thing is so cool! I love it!

Nick

Originally Posted By: rwills

Jeff, Just wondering how you posted the picture of your notepads? Thanks, Bob

just below the subject line when you post there are 9 boxes, from a B to URL. Just click on the Img box and the rest is easy. Browse your computer for the file and you are done.[/b]

Jeff Remas
REMAS Inspections, Inc.
Northeastern PA & the Poconos
www.NEPAinspector.com

570-362-1598

Originally Posted By: ismetaniuk

This membership was a big waste of my time!!!

Igor

Top To Bottom Inspections

Glen Spey, NY

Thanks Igor!! Very informative. I appreciate it. You know I actually thought about the picture on the website, but to me I thought it would be conceited. I just might try it. Thanks again, call anytime to let me know when you have something scheduled.

Jeff Remas
REMAS Inspections, Inc.
www.NEPAinspector.com

570-362-1598

OK, I added a small picture to my website. Not what Igor suggested, but that is in the works as soon as I try on my new Christmas clothes. I am sure anyone who checks it out will have a laugh or have a few comments.

Jeff Remas
REMAS Inspections, Inc.
www.NEPAinspector.com

570-362-1598

Originally Posted By: ismetaniuk

This membership was a big waste of my time!!!

Igor

Top To Bottom Inspections

Glen Spey, NY

Originally Posted By: jmyers

Bob Wills,

What kind of marketing to you do down there in philly?

Joe Myers

Joe, Marketing? What’s marketing? My wife goes to the supermarket! No, just kidding. I have a cheap homemade brochure, business cards, a listing in the Bucks Co. yellow pages, a website, so far. Plan on more marketing this year but haven’t decided what yet. I get most work from website, a few from yellow pages. most from word of mouth, past clients, attorneys, etc. I used to take flyers with coupons to RE agencies but never got one call so gave that up. By the way, love the toilet flushing sound on your site, Ha!..Bob

Originally Posted By: jmyers

Bob,

I was very surprised to learn you are part of the Independent Home Inspectors of North America.

Joe Myers

Originally Posted By: Chris Morrell

I’m sort of jumping into this topic without reading all of it. So if I repeat anything someone else said, deal with it.

Like others have said, you may get a few dozen inspections from the web a year, a couple from the yellow pages, et cetera. Your best bet is to leave a lasting (good) impression on everyone attending the inspection.

The notepad thing is a great idea -- I use free notepads for everything. If you give 'em to the seller, or your clients, they'll pass 'em around and you'll get free advertising. Someone might notice your name, and ask them about you. If you left a good impression, you might get a deal.

In terms of dress, I know that the most professional look I've seen is a white button-up shirt (short or long for season), comfortable jeans or khakis, and nice shoes for outside/slippers for inside. People really dig the slippers. It's also a good idea to wear a clean toolbelt with some outlet/gfci testers, a screwdriver or two, a flashlight, and any other tool that you use a lot. This is very practical, and gives you the feel of a "real" inspector.

Another thing to distinguish yourself is to charge higher prices. Make an effort to perform outstanding inspections, and charge $50-60 more than your competition for it. Use a digital camera and laptop, and produce the reports on-site. Answer everyone's questions fully, and take the time to explain anything in the report they don't understand. This will again, really impress people. As for the higher prices -- explain to people why you charge them, and ask them if they really want to go cheap on something like a home inspection. If they can't afford a few hundred bucks for your extraordinarily valuable services, can they really afford to buy a home?

If you show up for a home inspection well-dressed, with high-tech equipment and a good attitude, you'll be sure to impress everyone there. Leave a thank-you note with a custom notepad for the seller, and make sure everyone is happy when you walk out that door. Little things like handshakes can make a big difference -- wish them good luck. The phones will ring!

(And don't forget the slippers! "Look! They even wear slippers inside! These guys are professionals!")

I hope this was helpful,

--
Chris Morrell
Director of Information Technology
http://www.nachi.org/

![](upload://boca6moJRxomaHSYoShOsYY8uQA.html)

Joe, Just curious as to why you were surprised I was a member of IHINA.

I joined because in my area it’s almost impossible to get work from local RE agencies, believe me I tried at least in the beginning. Then I learned that a large amount of them use inspectors and franchises that give them some sort of kickback to get work. (read some of the posts on InspectionNews regarding this). Also, the amount of lawsuits led me to believe that some of these were getting work because they were controlled by the agency. Well, from the get go I decidied I would not be this type of Inspector and would not seek work from agencies. I heard of IHINA through a member on INews, and even though Dennis,the President of IHINA is extreme to that side of the issue, I am not, but think an association that is for the buyer clientele is at least on the right track. Anyway, I signed up to be listed for two years hoping to gain a little more exposure to buyers. By the way, I’m also a member of a few other HI associations, all of which I will probably not rejoin at the end of the terms because it seems once you join that’s it you’re just a member. Same goes for IHINA, at the time it seemed like another option. NACHI has been the best org. I’ve joined thus far. You never know until you get involved. I’ll probably become a member of other assoc. also but rest assured A$HI won’t be one. That’s one offer I enjoyed turning down…Bob

Originally Posted By: dsunday

To All,

I have thought about going the route of no RE referrals. Being an inspector, as buyers rep. I think you have to go that way. In previous employment , work in the field put me in an awkward position many times, where I represented the company I worked for, but had to do a balancing act among other interests. It was uncomfortable at the very least. I don't wish to go that route. When I do an inspection, honesty, and integrity are on the top of the list. I would rather not "shade" anything.
I have a couple of RE contacts waiting in the wings, maybe I should just let that slide. (friends, who might not be friends if I kill a sale).

On another note. What's the deal with insurance? Who is using who and what are you paying?

Regards,
Dj Sunday

Originally Posted By: jfarsetta

DJ,

I have a $1mil E&O with FREA. Costs about $2400 per year.

Joe

Bob, After you joined the IHINA, did you get an increase in inspections? I understand what you are talking about with the RE Agents since I started my marketing. Even in PA, they still control almost ALL of the business.