Masonry exterior wall cracks

Hi guys,

I came accross this 22 years old stucco finish house in Florida. It is the first time I see cracks like that. It looks like the cracks are following the masonry blocks pattern. The house “right and left side” exterior walls have the same cracks pattern. However the front and the back of the house does not have any cracks. The home owner mentionned these cracks appear within the last 2-3 years. Coincidentally, the house front and back have gutters while the side of the house does not. I am going to sudgest gutter installation and re-grading the soil away from the house foundation as well as sealing all cracks to avoid water penetration and further damage to the foundation wall. I am thinking settlement is happening here. Any other sudgestions? What could be the problem other than settlement? Bad stucco application? The rest of the house does not show any signs of settlement. Should I recommend a structural engineer? Thanks for the help!!

Report what you observed… ONLY.
It is not your job to prescribe repairs… especially if you have no clue what’s happening.

1 Like

Hi Jeffrey,
I am trying to understand what could be causing the issue here. This is for my own knowledge. I am trying to learn more everyday. If you want to share your opinion (about the problem mentionned above) please go ahead. I am not trying to tell my client what to do and what repairs should be done. Thats why I was asking in the forrum if this issue would be concerning enough to reffer to a structural engineer.

Jessica, based only on the pics you posted, I would not go as far as recommending a SE. The cracks do not appear to be that significant to warrant that. JMO…

2 Likes

So you are saying I misread this statement that you made?

Also… I agree with Thomas. In fact, 22 year old stucco in Florida? Doing pretty damned well, IMO.

3 Likes

This looks like stucco/parge coat applied directly to the CMU block wall. Those cracks appear to be typical shrinkage type cracks and moisture may be a contributing/compounding factor.

I would refer it out to a stucco contractor. That window needs help as well. Same contractor should be able to address it.

2 Likes

Thank you for the help!

As Brian said very typical (minor) shrinkage cracks. Definitely not a SE issue.

1 Like

Another crap stucco install, gutters have nothing to do with it.

3 Likes