Masonry veneer

Originally Posted By: dleech
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

I inspected a 30 year old back split on a block foundation. The brick veneer had many vertical cracks that had been patched with concrete. The foundation seemed fine for a concrete block foundation that has survived 30 Canadian winters. The front concrete porch had settled but the main foundation ia sound.

The roof is new but there is evidence inside that there have been leaks. My guess is that there has been excessive water in the wall structure which damaged the veneer.

The roof joists and rafters looked good and so did the floor joists.

What do you HIs think?

David Leech
Toronto

Originally Posted By: psabados

David

Any visible bowing or leaning of the exterior walls? Any moisture problems in the interior or below?

Paul

Originally Posted By: ekartal

dleech wrote:

My guess is that there has been excessive water in the wall structure which damaged the veneer.

David Leech
Toronto

Were there weep holes in the veneer?

Erol Kartal

Originally Posted By: Guest

David,

First you said vertical cracks..are the bricks themselves cracked or are there step cracks that follow the mortar joints?

A small point, but it's highly unlikely that concrete was used to patch the brickwork. If it was a hack "mason" then sandmix may have been used, but more likely it was a type n mortar. To be sure you're aware, concrete is a mix of cement, sand and gravel. Gravel would probably preclude the use of concrete to patch bricks.

If it's step cracked there's a problem w/ the foundation beneath the brick. It may or may not be a part of the home's foundation. If it's bowed then either the ties that tie the brick work to the framing have failed or none were used.

If there was enough water in the wall structure to damage the veneer, then you can be sure that there was rot in the walls.

I'd report it and defer to a structural engineer; if you explain cause and effect you're leaving yourself open to a can of whoopass if you're wrong.

Originally Posted By: dleech

Hi HIs, thanks for the response.

There were weep holes

The cracks were vertical step cracks in the brick veneer

The walls were not bowed

The entire house had a higher than usual overall moisture reading, in the 15-18% but the basement was as dry as the rest of the house. I expect it takes time for a house to dry out after a severe roof leak.

Yes the patching on the brick was a hack job, grey brick, grey cement.

I would send a picture but I am still on dial up and life is too short.

In canadian wood frame houses the foundation supports the veneer but the veneer is attached to the wood frame. Foundation did not indicate it was the source of the veneer cracks.

Thanks

David Leech
Toronto

Originally Posted By: rfarruggia

This was posted by NACHI member Mark Bailey a few months ago.

Go here for a free pdf file about inspecting brick veneer...

http://www.masonpro.com/

Originally Posted By: rcloyd

David:

Does the house have roof rafters? If so, are there collar ties or ceiling joists present?

--
Russell G. Cloyd
Intra-Spec Home Inspections
& Code Consulting, LLC
859-586-4591
www.intra-spechomeinspections.com