Massive dips in roof

Roof on 71 YO home has a ~10" dip. The roof was recently reshingled, but likely some issues with the trusses.

Attic space is too small to get a better look at the trusses.

Is this something that’s repairable?

Almost everything is “repairable”.

Better questions are what is it?, and what’s the structure like?

4 Likes

Anything is repairable. The question is at what cost.

I assume that you’re asking as a homeowner. The only way to know is for someone to get into the attic and see what’s going on.

2 Likes

Thank you.

There is a roofing company we spoke to that seems to think they can remove the squares and plywood by the dip and then level (repair) the trusses and replace the plywood and shingles.

I’m skeptical the fix is that easy.

and the roofer said,“For another Grand I can fix that for ya.”

and the owner said,“No thanks you’re soakin’ me enough now.”

3 Likes

Given that there is a slim chance the roof structure utilizes Trusses, a broken Rafter is not that difficult of a fix.
The real work comes from determining what the root cause of the problem was. A broken rafter is the result of what created the problem.
You need to get a professional ‘on site’. Asking anyone on the internet is simply foolish, regardless what any subject matter expert replies with!

4 Likes

Was it like this only on this side of the roof?

1 Like

As already mentioned, everything is repairable.

It’s highly unlikely a 71 YO house was bult with roof trusses.

I would recommend you hire an inspector to look at it and go from there.

3 Likes

It is bad on both sides (the side I sent in the photo is actually the “better” side) Here’s a photo of the other side - this is where the 10" dip is. The home was added on to and where the add-on was built is exactly where the big dip begins.

That was where I was going with that question. You will see that sometimes with an addition and the roof line doesn’t match. Then the question goes back to whether it was flashed and shingled properly where the offset is.

1 Like

Thank you, Thomas. This is a big help.

Yes, it was flashed and reshingled properly and this was recently completed.

Would this be a concern for you as a home buyer?

We have had several professional roof companies go out in addition to a structural engineer and they each have differing opinions.

So are you the Seller or the Buyer?

What did your Home Inspector have to say about it?

TIP: Providing ALL pertinent information upfront helps us understand the situation better, so we can offer our advice given the information provided!

4 Likes

I am the home owner / seller.

Each inspector has stated different things.

What TYPE of Inspectors were they, and what did each inform you?

1 Like

Looking at the pic, It looks like there is enough attic space to go in and look around. 71 years old, probably undersized 2x6 rafters.

4 Likes

Did the roofer had the shingles delivered on the roof on one pallet? I’ve seen rafters damaged by the weight of the pallet and carelessness of the crane operator. Just a thought.

4 Likes

what did the structural engineer say ???

3 Likes

We had two roofing companies go out and a structural engineer (none of them went into the attic as the access space is extremely small). Here were there three summarized responses:

1. Remove 5 squares of shingles / plywood and level out the rafters then replace shingles and plywood

2. Leave as-is as there is no real damage to the roof as it has new shingles, just a bump as there was an addition on the home (they didn’t get into the attic)

3. Tear off the roof and repair/reframe rafters

JMO, but I would go with this if there are no visible signs of leaking. ( But who did get into the attic, if any?)

1 Like

Yes, it would concern me until I assessed it properly. And then, it may concern me more. LOL!

To leave it like that is foolish, IMHO.

And, now would be a good time to cut a larger scuttle hole for attic access. :+1:

3 Likes