On-Site Truss Repairs

Originally Posted By: David Suelflow
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

How do you guys (and gals) deal with field repairs to pre-engineered roof trusses? Many times they are cracked when they are gently removed from the truck and the builder sisters on 2X4’s on each side. I call for the buyer to review the Repair Truss Design Drawing (RTDD) from the manufacturer or an engineer. Too picky or not? After reading this forum for a while, I think I know how you’ll answer but inspectors (not me) in this area try not to be “alarmists”. BTW Where do you fall in the spectrum between full reporting and just listing what’s broken?

Thanks,
Dave

Originally Posted By: pdacey

A truss is a system specifically designed by an engineer. Any alterations to a truss have to be made within the guidelines set by the designing engineer/manufacturer.

When I see it, I write it up.

--
Slainte!

Patrick Dacey
swi@satx.rr.com
TREC # 6636
www.southwestinspections.com

Originally Posted By: scieslewicz

David,

In an existing home I'd report the cut/crack and also note the repair that was done. I'd leave it to the potential buyer to get an engineer's opinion. If there is visible evidence of any structural damage because of the alteration, I would recommend engineering repair. If it is new construction, it makes things somewhat easier. The builder should be able to address the concerns with a copy of the repair from the truss manufacturer or an engineer. As you know, anytime there is a modification of any type to a manufactured truss, an engineer or "design professional" only should address the repair. Repairs include the type of material to use, where exactly it should be placed and fastening/glueing schedules. Many carpenters feel they know how to make the repairs (and sometimes they are right) but you still need an engineer's written repair order.

As a building inspector, I require the documentation from the engineer. It gets put in the home's file so that if there ever is an issue with the truss/es, the dated, specific information is there. Always a good thing to have.....and very helpful if a thorough, professional and "eagle eyed" home inspector ever inspects in the future!!! ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif)

Sue

Originally Posted By: tgardner

http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/usrimages/more/IMG_0038%20(WinCE)1.JPG ]

Originally Posted By: jpeck

Timothy,

Huh?

No way was that 'stamped' and sealed for a truss repair.

For something else, maybe, but no a truss repair.

I am referring to the screw-in eye and j hooks, the turnbuckles and the chains, not the other piece of wood (which 'could' be stamped and sealed, but I doubt it because it looks like a 1x, not a 2x).

Just does not 'look' like an engineered repair.

--
Jerry Peck
South Florida

Originally Posted By: jpope

It doesn’t even look like an engineered truss system. It looks like rafters to me.

Jeff Pope

JPI Home Inspection Service

“At JPI, we’ll help you look better”

(661) 212-0738

Originally Posted By: tallen

jpope wrote:
It doesn't even look like an engineered truss system. It looks like rafters to me.

No doubt about it .Not an enginnered truss system.

Mr. Pope is getting to smart ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif)

Thanks Jeff for all your info. ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif)

--
I have put the past behind me,
where , however, it now sits, making rude remarks.

www.whiteglovehomeinspections.net

30 Oct 2003-- 29 Nov2005

Originally Posted By: jpeck

opps. icon_redface.gif

Jerry Peck

South Florida

Originally Posted By: ccoombs

David

If a truss appears to have a repair, I would note that there is damage that appears to have been repaired as well as noting if an engineered fix was available for review. If the fix looks poor or questionable, I would note such and suggest an engineer review the fix.

Actually the turnbuckle fix seems like a pretty ingenious idea?it would be a matter of checking the eye-bolt for withdrawal. A perfect way to get out the sage with amazing precision.