Metal roof life

I have a metal roof that was installed incorrectly by having the overlap on the wrong side and missing screws on the perimeter edges. I have reported as such and on the Wind mitigation form but I have put that the roof has 1 year. Have I overstated the problem?

I want wind mit guys to answer. But I agree, that is all wrong. How is it performing and how long has it been performing? I am just curious what would make it fail in the immediate term at this point?

2 Likes

It’s been performing an unknown amount of time probably between 3-5 years or better. I just want to make sure that I don’t get hung up on the wind mitigation side as to how long the roof would last. I would imagine the roof would last another 5 years or better especially if it was screwed down properly but as to the overlap problem, does that affect the lifespan?

There is no life expectancy on the Wind Mitigation form. (OIR-1802)

5 Likes

My bad 4-point asks remaining life.

More likely to leak, that is the consequence IMO. Metal roofs can last 40-50 years.

2 Likes

Have any other (wide angle) shots? I can’t get a sense of what you’re seeing.

This lap should be on the underside. Nice catch, not many people know this. The fastener pattern is incorrect as a result.

3 Likes

Here is the pattern I used in the past.

2 Likes

I would say 50 years if maintained properly, however if it isn’t attached properly then it’s lifespan is the next severe wind storm.

2 Likes

I’m not a wind mit guy buy can you give a age range for the roof, instead of committing it to one specific year…e.g. age= 1-5 years?

Just a thought.

2 Likes