Metal Roof vs Shingle Roof Runoff Trajectory

I have very few pine trees on my property, but surrounded by poplars that shed spring blooms. They are worse than needles Imo, and act like a coating over the holes. I had this type of gutter guard and it worked well, until they didn’t. They were removed when I had a new roof put on a year ago. They were past their prime, but I haven’t found a good substitute that works for me yet. In the mean time, I’ve been cleaning my gutters which is on the list to do next week…or the next… :shushing_face: :wink:

4 Likes

Love this graphic randy, so your basically saying that 5" gutters are worthless period unless its a light rain.

The graphic was designed based on the house I inspected with the gutter mounted too low. In my graphic the gutter could have been mounted higher. My graphic is to provide information on the variables involved in the trajectory of water running off the roof and the ability of the gutter to catch the rain. The variables involved are gutter placement, gutter size, roof slope, roofing material, roofing overhang and the impact of a light rain vs a heavier rain event. Keep in mind placing the gutter too high on a metal roof where snow is possible can damage the gutter when the snow slides off the roof. So if the next time you inspect a roof with gutters just keep this graphic in mind.

5 Likes

I installed similar ones Kevin, but with all the tall trees around me they get covered with small twigs etc.
I end up blowing them off with an extension to my leaf blower a couple of times a year.
I still have to get up on the ladder and remove the one piece over the downspout and pull out all the twigs that got through.
Trees are beautiful but :thinking:

1 Like

I’ve got some tall cherry trees in my back yard that I get debris from, but so far so good with these gutter guards, I have had to clean out 2 each valley intersections once so far. Last year during a heavy rain fall I noticed a waterfall in a couple places, got the ladder out and found leaves collected in those areas, took about 5 minutes to clean and fingers crossed, all should be good for another year or two.

1 Like