Metal Roofing Edge - What do you see?

So doing this metal roof inspection and can tell that most of the work seems to be in pretty good shape. Boots well secured and such then I look around the edges. I’m in the mountains of Virginia where snow is likely 2-10 times a year. Sometimes quite a bit. But this doesn’t look like ice/snow guards. Can anyone explain to me what they would consider this? Disregard the gutters, they need help. :wink: It’s holding debris and does have an opening into the gutter beneath the edge.

Immediately thought to myself that must be flashing. So, now that I know that it is, what would the suggestion be? Recommend further evaluation and correction by a roofing contractor to remove the flashing that is collecting debris at the edge of your roof?

That flashing doesn’t belong there at all. Almost looks like a flashing piece used at the gable rakes where it goes down the barge board and over the metal roof.
Recommend a Qualified roofer to repair as necessary.

It almost looks like eave trim/drip edge for metal roofing installed over, instead of under, roofing panels. Can’t tell if that back side is turned up though? Almost looks like it is. Who knows for sure, but it most certainly doesn’t look right and/or what Marcel said.

Without finding a printed reference (maybe I’m wrong, but doubt it), screws should be placed through the ribs not flat surfaces. No idea what that cap is supposed to be but it needs to come off.

Looks like they got that part right. Page 4.
The flashing at the eaves is bent at 90 degrees also, so it had to have been meant for the rakes.

1 Like

Doesn’t look like your typical ice/snow guard but I think that that was the intention.

Snow guard on the other house in the background makes more sense.

I am going to go out on a limb here. This is likely a re-roof. What looks like rake trim has been used as a gutter hanger (taking the weight of the gutter along the edge of the rake metal instead of the edge of the panel). I have seen many oddities when it comes to r-panel roof installations, especially where inexperienced roofing companies are concerned, and often at edge and wall details. Also, there is little manufacturing oversight in terms of installation details. Oh, they have drawings depicting proper installation, but that doesn’t mean they are always followed. Many a roofer consider themselves better engineers than the architects and engineers who manufacture and specify the materials.

This particular detail is not causing the problem, but it is prohibiting access to clear the problem. I would definitely recommend that they have the roof evaluated by a qualified roofer. Outside of the access to the debris, though, I don’t see much to be concerned with. The fasteners on the top side of the edge detail, though not recommended, are rarely a problem at this point in the roof. In fact, many of the manufacturers want installers to fasten the gutter straps to the top of the rib in the same manner and at these same areas. The type of faster, the type of sealant used, penetrations through the surface of the roof, and the installation of where the panels overlap and end laps are the key details to hone in on when inspecting r-panel metal roofs.

Also, in image 3551, it appears the boot may have been installed backwards. So, more evidence that perhaps the rake trim at gutter edge may be indicative of (improper) installation technique and not a manufacturer detail.

This has been extremely insightful everyone. Thank you very much for the feedback and the recommendation. It’s been great having your resources to bounce thoughts off of with experience that I’m currently lacking, but hopefully building to help others in the field over time.

Yes, that is similar to what I posted earlier. Some of the reasons it is not recommended is because of thermal expansion movement where the fastener is too tight to the rib or too loose and allows moisture intrusion.
Another reason is when you are dealing with a 26 gauge material and nail or screw in the ribs, you are actually stretching the sheets and when caps or closure strips need to be installed in some locations, they don’t fit properly. Plus the sheets can creep more at one end or the other.
So it is best to follow the Manufactures recommended installation procedure for the particular product. :grin:

Thanks for the clarification. Only experience I had with standing seam metal roof was a warehouse building we had, screws were installed on the ribs, I do know that. Roof was installed by Amish, they replaced what was a lighter gauge metal roof that was subject to constant storm damage from screw pull through with a heavier gauge metal roof. I distinctly remember the screws being installed in the ribs. It was my understanding they did this to prevent uplift from wind along the seam.