Missouri Legislative Efforts Heating Up...

This is turning out to be quite an interesting fight…one that the opponents of home inspection legislation in Missouri have been preparing for all winter.

It began with a bill that ASHI and the Missouri Association of Realtors pushed through a Missouri representative famous for his solicitations to lobbyists.

Much to his chagrin and embarassment, a neighboring fellow Republican offered a bill that comes in at the total opposite swing of the pendulum…a registration bill that accepts the NACHI on-line test. ASHI presidents are climbing over one another to squelch that one.

Meanwhile, editorials throughout the state have “yours truly” at war with the real estate brokers who want a licensing board that they can complain to when an inspector kills their deal.

Again…in spite of the many claims by ASHI and the MAR to the contrary…2008 does not look like the year that a home inspector licensing bill is going to pass in Missouri.

At least not without the fight of their lives.

By the way, last year ASHI arranged for the usual “horror story” for the news media in order to attempt to create a need for licensing bill like they do in other states. NACHI and NAHI members were able to convince the television station not to air the one-sided commercial for an unneeded licensing bill.

This year…there was a special attempt made by certain members of ASHI leadership to find a disgruntled customer of mine that they could exploit. The best they could do was to find a seller and an agent who were upset because my client broke the deal after an inspection — my very argument published in every editorial throughout the state as to why the MAR should stay out of our business.

It’s probably going to get nastier as the proponents become more frustrated as the May 16th deadline approaches.

But keep fighting the good fight, Missouri. Licensing is not inevitable.

[QUOTE]

I’ll contact those members, and advise them to back off for a couple weeks, so you can start spending all your time inspecting, or at least enough time until they can get something legit on you, instead of forcing you to spending all your time fighting and writing blogs.:wink: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

The Missouri Bill is in the committee hearing this Thursday in Jeff City

Executive Session. This is not a public hearing.

I did just spend about 45 minutes on the phone with one of the members on the Prof Licensing and Registration Committee and there will, indeed, be a public hearing coming up very soon.

Email me or call me for more information on that. The proponents for the bill are well organized and prepared to present their arguments in favor of the bill. We need some folks there to present the logical side of the issue and help give our legislators a good reason to kill this bill in committee, again.

Count me in.

Please email me with your address.

Home
Realtors, home inspectors in feud over Kansas legislation

TOPEKA | Home inspectors told lawmakers today that a bill passed by the House would raise the cost of a new home and threaten their independence from realtors.
“At this time home inspections are affordable for purchasers,’ said Nancy Seats, president of the Homeowners Against Deficient Dwellings. “This legislation will certainly raise the cost and in my opinion will do nothing to protect the public…”
Supporters said the bill was needed to protect new homeowners from shoddy inspections.
The bill, HB 2315, would set standards for home inspectors and allow homeowners to sue inspectors for an amount up to $10,000.
It also would create a five-member Kansas Home Inspectors Registration Board and require inspectors to be registered. The board would also be allowed to revoke registrations if it received a complaint against an inspector.
Inspectors currently are not required to be licensed by the state.
Three board members would be inspectors, the fourth a real estate agent or broker and the fifth an at-large member of the public. All would be appointed by the governor.
During a hearing today in the Senate Commerce Committee, inspectors objected to having someone from the real estate industry on the board.
David Moriconi, a home inspector from Blue Springs, said inspectors worried that a realtor could influence the board’s real estate representative to punish an inspector that the realtor disliked because of inspections that cost the real estate company sales.
He said the requirement exposing the inspector to $10,000 in liability costs would significantly raise the cost of home inspections.
Moriconi’s company, which performs a lot of inspections in Kansas, currently charges a minimum of $225 for a home inspection.
Supporters urged the committee to approve the bill.
“When a family ends of up with a lemon home, the family should rightfully have legal recourse against any unscrupulous or irresponsible party involved in the transaction,” said Callie Denton Hartle of the Kansas Association for Justice.
The bill would sought by the state’s real estate industry. It was approved by the House last month 80-38.
“I haven’t heard what the need is for this bill,” said Sen. Karin Brownlee, an Olathe Republican and the committee’s co-chairman, at the end of the hearing.

QUOTE:
The bill, HB 2315, would set standards for home inspectors and allow homeowners to sue inspectors for an amount up to $10,000.
END QUOTE:

This is one good reason that this bill should not pass.

In my opinion having this written into LAW will only encourage lawsuits for the maximum amount.

Before this people might have sued for $1,000.00 or $2,000.00 but now …

QUOTE:
Three board members would be inspectors, the fourth a real estate agent or broker and the fifth an at-large member of the public.
END QUOTE:

**Talk about a conflict of interest!:twisted: **

Missouri Association of Realtors tried to pull that crap in Missouri last year. This year it justs appears only ASHI members, who are owned by the Realtors, will be on the board.
My prediction, after the supporters of the bill winds up shooting themselves in the foot again, A$HI will not exist in the bill and then the bill will die. Rep. Parsons, who has already taken over $4,00 dollars in lobbyists’ money, keeps on trying to sell an old lame horse. MAR, A$HI, and Parson$, keeps on drugging the horse to keep it alive. It is just a matter of time until the horse has a cardiac arrest.

That sounds a lot like what the other NACHI Inspectors said in their states before they became licensed!

They said “There is no way that this punitive and biased bill will ever pass.” NACHI Inspectors in Florida fought Tooth & Nail against their bill… we all heard the stories how there was no way in hell that this bill would pass because … Everybody can see that it is ASHI Driven, punitive and biased!
Guess what ?
IT PASSED!

The same thing has happened in 19 out of 30 licensed states! Do not let YOUR guard down!

Good Luck!

Here is how we deal with phony coalitions.

I can not get the link to work. Anybodyelse having trouble?

Try THISone

Thanks.
How can the supporters of this bill say this bill will protect the consumer when even a national consumer group opposes it?

When a consumer protection group (HADD) opposes the licensing of home inspectors, there’s something amiss! I’m not in Missouri and don’t know the local politics, but something stinks. Even from this far away, I can smell it!!

Is this group fighting licensing only because they are fighting the realtors association who sell poorly built homes built by uncaring the builders and they both don’t care. From Bushart’s posts, I get the feeling that MAR may have a hand in this legislation which HADD would want to fight against just because of MAR’s involvement, not because HI shouldn’t be regulated. There’s some smoke and mirrors going on here.

Some interesting reading on the run-up to Massachssetts licensing:

http://www.mass.gov/legis/senate/homeinspect.htm#1A

There certainly is.

Special interest groups who try to create the illusion of need for this type of legislation use smoke and mirrors, a lot. You are to be commended for pointing that out.

Much like this bill, HB 2057, where the ASHI folks created the requirement for “mentoring” in the bill. Old ASHI presidents who feel that $300 home inspections are beneath them…under this bill…could charge four guys $75 a piece to tag along with them to get the necessary credits for their license. While we all know that 50 ride alongs are not considered squat to any other state or any national association as far as denoting skill, it is still a source of income to this particular special interest.

Then, there is the “communication” factor added by the real estate special interests. Of course they allow for the revocation of a license from an inspector who does a bad inspection and a bad report…but they were still left with a problem. What if the inspector does the inspection right, writes the report correctly, but still costs them a sale by his lack of enthusiasm or other means of “communicating” to the client that there are serious problems? To accommodate this special interest, the politician wrote that an inspector who “negligently communicates” a properly conducted and properly reported inspection could be in trouble…very subjective and very narrow in how it can be applied.

Yes, sir. Smoke and mirrors is the only means available to anyone trying to create a need for a licensing law when there are no real reasons for it.

Hey bushfart I see you are still putting your myopic spin on the sky is falling.

You are the perfect example why licencing is needed!

You are a walking example of why licencing is needed! You are drunk with power. Your grip on power is slipping. Control, control, control.

At least you does not use a false name when he posts.