Mobile Homes

Originally Posted By: mlopezi
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

I was asked about a inspection on a mobile home. Does anyone do them and are they worth the trouble?

Originally Posted By: lkage

I have done them and I don’t discount for them. They take a lot of notating usually. They are only designed to last about 20 years I think.

Here's a helpful link: http://www.inspect-ny.com/mobileinspections.htm

--
"I have never met a man so ignorant that I couldn't learn something from him."
Galileo Galilei

Originally Posted By: jminchey

Unfotunately, we have several mobile homes in Tennessee and a lot of financial institutions are requiring set-up inspections before they will grant loans…I charge a minimum fee for the set-up evalaution…check with your local criteria before doing this…i always have to check for permanent foundations, correct amount of strapping ties, and here they are suggested but not enforced that the hoe is set up on a “turtle-back” foundation design, center of area in crawlspace must be 2’ high and slope away from home 10’ at all sides…be careful and note everything!

Originally Posted By: rmoore

Also try http://www.ibhs.org/publications/downloads/20050728_161754_21455.pdf for a decent “foundation” checklist.

After almost three years of turning them down I got talked into doing a 1700sf double wide on Monday. Spent the weekend doing research and creating a manufactured home specific report template.

My verdict...Too much crawling, too many issues, too much report, not enough money. You young'uns can have them. I think I've done my first and LAST!

--
Richard Moore
Rest Assured Inspection Services
Seattle, WA
www.rainspect.com

Originally Posted By: jminchey

Sorry to hear that, I use my regular template and charge normal inspection fees then attach a seperate letter for an additional fee on set-up and n=make very good money…been inspecting since 1988…not a young’un…charge for your time and make it worthwhile, or do not accept the job