Mobile or Modular

Originally Posted By: bemelander
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Is there any easy way to tell if a home is a mobile or a modular. Is the steel frame always on a mobile.

Have a potential client that needs to know because their finance company will not finance mobiles or manufactured homes but they will modulars.

I know there is allot of difference in the type of construction and materials used but I’m looking for a for sure way.

Thanks

Bill

--
Anchor Home Inspections

bill@anchorinspections.com

Originally Posted By: mboyett

: These are homes built entirely in the factory under a federal building code administered by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD). The Federal Manufactured Home Construction and Safety Standards (commonly known as the HUD Code) went into effect June 15, 1976. Manufactured homes may be single- or multi-section and are transported to the site and installed. The federal standards regulate manufactured housing design and construction, strength and durability, transportability, fire resistance, energy efficiency and quality. The HUD Code also sets performance standards for the heating, plumbing, air conditioning, thermal and electrical systems. It is the only federally-regulated national building code. On-site additions, such as garages, decks and porches, often add to the attractiveness of manufactured homes and must be built to local, state or regional building codes.

Modular Homes: These factory-built homes are built to the state, local or regional code where the home will be located. Modules are transported to the site and installed.

Panelized Homes: These are factory-built homes in which panels - a whole wall with windows, doors, wiring and outside siding - are transported to the site and assembled. The homes must meet state or local building codes where they are sited.

Pre-Cut Homes: This is the name for factory-built housing in which building materials are factory-cut to design specifications, transported to the site and assembled. Pre-cut homes include kit, log and dome homes. These homes must meet local, state or regional building codes.

Mobile Homes: This is the term used for factory-built homes produced prior to June 15, 1976, when the HUD Code went into effect. By 1970, these homes were built to voluntary industry standards that were eventually enforced by 45 of the 48 contiguous states.

--
Mike Boyett
Capital City Inspections
Austin, Tx
www.capcityinspections.com

Originally Posted By: jbushart

bemelander wrote:
Is there any easy way to tell if a home is a mobile or a modular. Is the steel frame always on a mobile.
Have a potential client that needs to know because their finance company will not finance mobiles or manufactured homes but they will modulars.
I know there is allot of difference in the type of construction and materials used but I'm looking for a for sure way.

Thanks

Bill

Bill,

Check with your state and see what definitions they apply. In Missouri, both are considered manufactured homes in that they are fabricated off site. A mobile home rests upon its wheels but when you put a "double-wide" on a permanent foundation, it is no longer mobile.

Gets kind of silly.

In Missouri, however, the Department of Public Services enforces manufactured home standards - both mobile and modular and the manufacurer and seller have accountability to the state for certain issues for a period of five years following set up.

This means that an owner with an expired warranty could still have recourse through the state for certain undiscovered material defects and code violations for five years.

--
Home Inspection Services of Missouri
www.missourihomeinspection.com

"We're NACHI. Get over it."

www.monachi.org

Originally Posted By: jbushart

Also, modular homes require certain state “seals” in certain locations. Mobile homes require other “seals”. These seals identify them as modular and mobile, as well. Here, there is one on the service box and one usually under the kitchen sink on a modular. Mobiles are usually with the HVAC equipment.

Home Inspection Services of Missouri

www.missourihomeinspection.com

"We're NACHI. Get over it."

www.monachi.org

Originally Posted By: jspringstead

Bill: I use the following “rule of thumb” If the house is supported by a steel frame and was delivered to the site with wheels attached and a tongue, its most likely a “HUD” type modular. If the home was delivered on a trailer and set with a crane or slid onto the foundation, its a stick built modular. I always ask the question, “does it have a title?” If it does, its a cheaper HUD type mod. By the way, I inspect between 5 -10 per month around my area. Good to see you at the meeting the other night! icon_smile.gif

Give us 5% of your confidence and we’ll earn the other 95%

Originally Posted By: loconnor

Bill

I just performed a new construction draw inpection for a modular home. Although it is built in a factory, as a manufactured home; the wood framing, along with the state or local building codes it was built from, is what differentiates the two.

A manufacyured home is built to HUD specifications and codes and should have a tag located on each section, usually at the rear of each section.

As James pointed out, when a manufactured homes has its tongue and hitch removed, along with the axles and wheels, then placed on a permanent foundation, it should be considered real estate. But in Michigan, I am told, (but don'r quote me), the home owners have to make application to local authorities to have it documented as a real estate, and not personal property.

The general contractor I worked with last week, during the installation of the modular home, gave me an interior tour of the home 10 minutes after it was put together. This took only 1 1/2 hours. It was interesting watching them put it together, on top of a full basement.. This was in the outskirts of Benton Harbor.

The contractor told me how mobile home manufacturers were referring their homes as modular or manufactured. The Modular home industry had to take them to court to get them to stop using the term modular inreferencing mobile homes. They are now called manufactured homes.

You should not see a difference between a regular home or a modular home, according the the GC I talked to. However, being an inspector, we're bound to see something that would indicate this is not a stick built home. Sorry this post is so long. I took my vitamins today.

--
Larry
Western Michigan NACHI Chapter
http://www.w-michigan-nachi.org

"We confide in our strength
without boasting of it.
We respect that of others
without fearing it"
Thomas Jefferson