Manufactured/Modular

Hi guys I could use some help on this one. I inspected a manufactured home Monday that was put on poured concrete. I sent the report to the client and everything is fine. The realtor requested a copy of the report and the client said that is okay. So I sent the report to her, and the realtor wants me to change " manufactured home " to " modular ". Any suggestions would be great. By the way, buyer/seller knows it is a " manufactured home "

Are you sure it isn’t a modular? Was it built to local codes or was it built to HUD rules?

2 Likes

Others who are smarter than I will chime in but there is a difference between modular and manufactured home. The modular ones meet local building codes whereas manufactured meet HUD rules. Might look up the county property info and see what the assessor calls it. The realtor may be concerned with discrepancies in the homes description causing financing or other problems at closing.

2 Likes

Modular is a type of manufactured home. Single wides and double wides are also types of manufactured homes.

5 Likes

From the manufacturer’s website…

3 Likes

Hey thanks for that yeah the realtor is trying to save money

Yes the realtor is trying to save money. Thanks for the input!

We have a county database that states it has a manufactured home and the plate in the panel box says it’s a manufactured home.

Thank you so much Ryan!

There will be a HUD plate if it is a “manufactured” home. The manufacturer date sticker in your photo doesn’t really mean anything.

3 Likes

Thanks for the lesson. Much appreciated!

1 Like

Modular homes are traditionally easier to finance and insure. Modular homes are generally not intended to ever be moved after being placed at the site.

“Manufactured” home is more akin to “mobile home,” even though today’s models look nothing like traditional mobile homes.

2 Likes

Tip:

Manufactured/Mobil Homes:
Appliances are always (99%) installed at the factory, (excluding kitchen appliances),

Modular Homes:
Appliances are nearly always (99%) installed on site. (Yes, there are always exceptions).

1 Like

As in a “Slab”, or on a crawlspace with individual (typically three for a double wide) concrete footing/slabs for the piers?
That would also be a clue that it is a Modular built home if on an actual ‘SOG’. .
Manufactured homes don’t need a full foundation for support, as they are built on a steel chassis/frame, thus setting on piers or perimeter foundation walls.
Got any pics to share??

5 Likes

Another clue…
Electrical…
In most every Modular I have inspected, the wiring ‘runs’ are such as you will find in your car.
They are designed, built, and installed in looms/harnesses/bundles. If you look in the attic above the electrical panel, you would normally see the bundling coming from the panel and splitting off to different areas of the home with connectors at the different Modular sections.

5 Likes

Thanks for the great info Jonas!

2 Likes

So, poured foundation walls?
Do you have a pic of the floor structure/joists of the home?

2 Likes

By this photo alone, I would say it is very highly unlikely (not impossible) that this would be a Manufactured Home, simply due to the additional costs of needing a crane to place it on the foundation.
Kinda defeats the original purpose for Manufactured/Mobil homes.
JMHO.

3 Likes

That home is definitely a modular home but it’s still considered a manufactured home by definition.

Definition:

“A manufactured home is a home constructed entirely in a controlled factory environment, transported to the site and installed.”

With that being said, the OP’s original question was this:

I would have to side with the realtor on this because using the blanket term “manufactured home” does not accurately describe the type of structure.

When I report on these types of homes, I use the terms “mobile home” or “modular home”.

Also, mobile homes are regulated by HUD and modular homes are regulated by local or state building codes.

By the way, for those in NJ, mobile homes are no longer regulated by HUD. They are now regulated by the New Jersey Division of Consumer Affairs.

6 Likes