Moen Shower Valve - No Retainer Clip Slot

Last night I was unable to turn off my shower with an old Moen valve. Hot/cold was still easily adjustable, but in spite of numerous jiggling, wiggling, turning and banging (with my hand) and a few choice words, I could not push it in to turn off the flow. Its been sporadically difficult to push in for a few months, but wiggling it always worked in the past. So I shut off my water at the pump.

I did some web research and found several descriptions of how to get the cartridge out, but all of them showed a slot above the retaining clip. I don’t a slot on mine. The valve came with the house which I bought in 1989. But the house was built in the 50s. The lines are sweated on and their is no rear access panel. I’d guess that the valve was installed when the house was built, but I do not know this for sure.
The chrome face plate says MOEN on it but I was not able to find any model number.

Help!!!

Thanks in advance for any advice you can provide,

Dan Zemke :frowning:

www.plbg.com is a good source of info dedicated only to plumbing.

Linus - thanks, I try that URL. The reason I posted here was other than the Moen site itself (has an annimation) this site came up with the most helpful posts about Moen cartridge replacement.

If I find the answer on this site you pointed me to, I post it here as well.

Thanks,

Dan

Apparently there is a chrome sleeve that is covering the slot above the retaining clip which I can’t get off either (have slightly separated the seam at the bottom of the sleeve). But I’ll pursue this on the plumbing site I was pointed to above.

Thanks,

Dan Zemke

Moen can be a bear to work on. You may have to use needle nose pliers to get the chrome sleeve off. After that is off you will see a retaining pin on the top of the valve. Use your needle nose to pull that straight up. Now comes the difficult part. You may need a Moen cartridge puller to get the cartridge out. If it’s been in for a number of years it is probably pretty seized up. A Moen tool probably won’t cost much and should be available at any DYI store.

After you screw the tool onto the cartridge turn it back and forth to break the cartridge free. This step is very important because it is possible to pull the inside out of the cartridge leaving the outside. If this happens it is very hard to remove. After the cartridge is loose slowly turn the nut clockwise with a crescent wrench. This will pull the cartridge out.

Be sure to replace with a OEM cartridge (brass). The non OEM (plastic) don’t work as well.

Good luck.

I always appreciate tidbits like this. Thanks Tony. :wink:

Try your local ACE hardware store. They do carry most MOEN repair or replacement parts. Also if you go to there lumber desk they usually do have a parts guide that they should be able to tell you how to take it apart.

Don’t forget to turn the water off before pulling the cartridge.

Kevin